Re: [aloha-donblanding] WOW early painting by Blanding - just won on ebay!

    Message 1 of 15 , May 25 9:28 AM
      Wow! Am I jealous. Thats a real find for $500. I'm
      in Livingston Montana and his painting looks like what
      I am seeing every day. I spent one whole day tracking
      down info on James Blanding, his uncle that lived in
      Gardner and worked in Yellowstone building roads.
      Can't drum up any specific info about him though. I
      got some names of locals but its Memorial Day and they
      are gone. Will follow up when I get home. I'm going
      to the local museum in Livingston over the holiday as
      they have a special show, etc, related to the
      railroads of that era. Thats how DB would have gotten
      here from Oklahoma. Never know what will turn
      up.....great find Keith! I would have bought it for
      sure....tj

      --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Hi all,

      I spent most of the night up with a sick child, and
      was up early looking over ebay and lo and
      behold I was rewarded for my misery by finding a
      painting by Don Blanding for sale.

      I've been collecting Blanding stuff now for six years
      but have yet to aquire any artwork by the
      man...until now, and boy, it's a doozie! Painted in
      his Art Institute days...it's a landscape
      (possibly from Canada) and I have confimed his
      signature and the story behind it.

      Here's the link for the ebay listing:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7417726472

      A very excited (and tired) Keith

      aloha-donblanding@...

      Poetry
      writing Poetry book
      publisher Poetry
      book
      Blanding ut
      Poetry book publishing
      Poetry writing contest

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 15 , May 25 10:53 AM
        Fantastic! A good painting as well - some of those plein airs were pretty
        run of the mill and a wee bit corny- this is a real find....and a pleasure
        to view as well. Congrats!Karen Cotter

        Message 3 of 15 , May 25 11:20 AM
          Hi Tom,

          Yeah...can't wait to see it!

          You might check with the local historical society and/or library for city directories from the
          time Don was there (4 summers in all I believe). If you have time you can even browse
          through some microfilmed newspapers as they usually mention visitors who came and went.
          Some local papers are even indexed.

          Have any of us ever looked through the 1910 census for James Blanding living in Montana?
          Message 4 of 15 , May 25 2:27 PM
            Keith ...

            WOW, yes, I am jealous! To think the painting was right here in
            Seattle!

            Thank goodness it was a BIN, else I suspect there'd have been a
            bidding war. If anyone should have the painting, it's you . . . a
            just reward for all the sleuthing you've done the past 6 years.

            When you get it, I wonder if you could take a really good close-up,
            frame and all, and have some prints made. Maybe 8x10s? Not to sell
            on eBay, just to make available (for $$) to group members.

            By the way, I've scored 2 lots of DB stuff on eBay recently, which
            should arrive in a week or two from Hawaii. One is a copy of The
            Picture Bridge, signed by Frank Moore. The other contains a WWII
            signed photo of DB in uniform, some correspondence, news clippings,
            a book and other paper miscellany.

            So my budget is shot, even if I had seen the auction for the painting!

            Message 5 of 15 , May 25 2:31 PM
              I have some census material at home, and am pretty sure I checked for
              James Blanding on all censuses from 1820 onward.

              Will let you know what I find in my notes.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 25 6:59 PM
                Actually Cadia...I looked in the 1910 census tonight, and James C. Blanding is listed as living
                in Jardine School District, which is in Yellowstone. He is listed as a farmer.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 26 11:09 AM
                  Keith and TJ ...

                  Here's what I have so far on James C. Blanding, elder brother of Hugh
                  Ross Blanding:

                  1850 census:

                  b. abt 1848 - Wisconsin (age 2)
                  son of Joseph and Maria Blanding
                  Father b. PA; mother b. WI
                  Residence: Grant County, WI (Lancaster, I think)

                  1860 census:

                  ditto (age 12)
                  Residence: Watertown, Grant Co., WI

                  1870 census:

                  I don't have this one yet. Will check this weekend.

                  1880 census: June 7 & 8

                  b. abt 1845 - Pennsylvania (age 32), Surveyor
                  Wife: Christina, age 27, b. Sweden (F/M also b. Sweden)
                  Residing: Sheridan, Pennington Co., Dakota Territory

                  NOTE: I believe this is our James C., but note PA as birthplace.
                  Since mother Maria was b. WI, I believe all her children were b. WI.
                  Census page correctly lists F/M birthplace as PA and WI, respectively.

                  Now here's the goodie I discovered while rambling on Ancestry.com
                  last night ....

                  1890 Veterans Schedules Record:

                  James C. Blanding, Private, Company A, 41st Wisconsin Infantry
                  Enlisted: May 6, 1862
                  Discharged: July 25, 1865
                  Years of Service: 3
                  No disabilities noted
                  Residence: June 1890 - Cascade, Cascade County, MT
                  Post Office Address: Grand Coulee, MT
                  House No.: 207 (no street given)

                  Yes, I know our James C. would have been about age 14 or 15 upon
                  enlistment, but that was not unusual. It would be worth checking
                  further to find out if Pvt. James C. enlisted from Grant County.
                  There's another Blanding line in St. Croix, Polk County, WI -- not
                  connected to our Blandings as far as I know. Maybe a distant
                  relationship if one or more of the Pennsylvania Blandings settled in
                  Polk County.

                  Keith, I have the citation but not the document for the 1910 census
                  listing:

                  James C. Blanding
                  b. abt 1847 - Pennsylvania
                  Residence: Jardine School District, Park County, MT

                  I'm pretty sure this is our guy, but that PA birthplace bugs me! It
                  shows up again ....

                  1920 census: January 23

                  b. abt. 1847 - Pennsylvania (age 73), Farmer
                  Wife: Mary, age 50, b. Sweden
                  Residence: Livingston Ward 2, Park County, MT

                  Again, James' F/M listed as b. PA and WI, respectively. I believe
                  Mary (also "May" on Ancestry.com) was a 2nd wife, given the age
                  difference.

                  James C. does not appear on the 1930 census.

                  Why would he indicate PA as his birthplace and not Wisconsin?
                  There's no disputing the 1850 and 1860 census information. Here's
                  what I think:

                  If Pvt. James C. is our guy, maybe he fudged his age to enlist. If
                  so, he might have given PA as his birthplace because Wisconsin
                  authorities could not easily check it and find out his real age.
                  Since our James' father, Joseph, was from Pennsylvania ... well, why
                  not? A little fib in 1862 may have followed James the rest of his
                  life!

                  That's it for now.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 26 1:53 PM
                    A few more tidbits:

                    I think James C. Blanding died in 1929 and is buried in Wahpeton, Richland, North Dakota.

                    Mary C. Blanding appears alone in the 1930 census and is listed as a widow. She was born
                    in Sweden in 1870 and immigrated to the US in 1885. It seems she was married at the age
                    of 25...which would be around 1895. In 1930 she was working as a cook in a government
                    mess hall in Yellowstone.

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 30 5:51 PM
                      What I found in Livingstone Montana so far is that
                      James Blanding owned property in upper Yellowstone
                      near Gardner Montana. Gardner is the gateway to
                      original Yellowstone. He helped carve roads into the
                      "new" National Park starting about 1894 or close to
                      that year. He had a ranch (or farm). I found out
                      that the railroad would have gone through Livingston
                      and on to Gardner when DB was going there for his
                      summers with his Uncle. There was a small hill inside
                      of Yellowstone named Blanding Hill, probably after
                      James Blanding. That was changed in 1958 when more
                      modern road were built and Blanding Hill was taken
                      out. I have an interesting newspaper blurb about
                      James Blandings trek to Montana from the East in which
                      he describes the teams as using cow chips for fires
                      and the youngst cowboy would be elected to go collect
                      the chips as per tradition, etc. I have some new
                      friends at the Livingston Library checking out where
                      James Blandings ranch was and if it still exists,
                      which I doubt. I have microfiche on order from
                      1894-1912 of the local newspapers of the time. I
                      don't expect much in the way of discoveries, quite
                      frankly, but it's one more thing to explore. Wouldn't
                      it be neat to find a newspaper photo of young DB and
                      his uncle? Back home again though Montana was hard
                      to leave....tj

                      ---------------------------------

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 30 11:05 PM
                        Aloha Tom,

                        You are doing great! Thanks for sharing. Wish I was in you place. What
                        a great time you 2 must be having in Montana/

                        --- Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:

                        ---------------------------------
[...]

                        Service.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 2, 2006
                          Tom ...

                          There is a James Blanding listed in Gardiner, Park County, MT (I
                          think on the 1910 census), but the age is all wrong. This James B.
                          was born about 1861. If the age is correct, then it is not our James.

                          On the other hand, with all the errors I've been finding on
                          documents, and as transcribed via Ancestry.com, well, I could accept
                          our James being in both Jardine School District, Park County, in 1910
                          as well as in Gardiner.

                          I've also discovered a major discrepancy in James military service.
                          The pension document of 1890 shows James with 3 years' service, May
                          1862 - July 1865, in Company H, 41st Wisconsin. However, last night
                          I printed out the regiment's history and part of the list of
                          soldiers, including James C. Blanding of Lancaster, WI. The regiment
                          was not even formed until May 1864 and mustered out in September
                          1864. It was the last of three 100-day regiments from Wisconsin.

                          Big difference!

                          ~~C~~
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                            Keith ...

                            Yes, James C. Blanding died in 1929. His widow applied for pension
                            benefits in Nov. 1929 and again in 1934. I have a copy of the
                            document, and will request copies of all related documents, including
                            his Civil War service records, from the National Archives. Copies of
                            the required forms are on the way to me.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 3, 2006
                              I've found other miscue's with DB himself. Always
                              have to check data and sources. I ordered newspapers
                              from Gardner and Livingston from 1894-1912 figuring
                              that Yellowstone was a big deal then and maybe James
                              Blanding would be featured somewhere as he was cutting
                              in the original roads to the new National Park. Maybe
                              a teenager named Don Blanding will be standing/sitting
                              next to him. We'll see.....tj

                              ---------------------------------

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 5, 2006
                                Tom ...

                                I checked the 1910 census again. The James Blanding in Gardiner is a
                                49-year-old widower whose parents were born in Missouri and
                                Pennsylvania. No others in his household.

                                Our James C. Blanding is listed in the Jardine school District, Park
                                County, and by 1910 was about 62 years old. His wife Mary C. is also
                                listed, with years of marriage shown as 15. Certainly, if James and
                                mary were married in the area, an 1894 or 1895 newspaper might yield a
                                clue. I think the earliest that DB went to Yellowstone was the summer
                                of 1909, about age 15.