Re: Unpublished manuscript - No Strings on Tomorrow

    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2006
      Tom,

      I would recommend you self-publish 'No Strings' as I think there would only be a very small
      market for this book, and no publishers are going to back it. As with 'Joy is an inside Job,'
      Don had wandered so far from his Hawaiian poetry roots that only his most loyal fans bought
      copies and from what I have gleaned from the archives of Dodd, Mead & Company, it was a
      money loser and they published 'Joy' more as a favor to Don than anything else.

      If you were to print a limited edition of about fifty copies, I think some from this group would
      buy copies, and you could donate a few to museums and libraries in the places Don lived. It
      would be a nice tribute, but don't expect to recoup your costs...I haven't really made much
      from the Lost Works books I published in December.

      Just my two cents worth...and don't take it as being negative...I just know that publishers out
      there want sure sellers, and 'No Strings' is an obscure, slightly metaphysical last work of a
      little-known author.

      Keith
    • allen@sawtelle.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2006
        You are spot on with your comments regarding the publishing of "Strings"
        Keith. I find it hard to plow through the whole thing myself and I was
        present and active in the metaphysical trip he was pursuing at the time he
        gave birth to the book He submitted the manuscript to Dodd Mead and several
        other publishers with no takers. The Science of Mind (Church of Religious
        Science) group headed up by Earnest Holms warmley received the work but they
        were in no position to help. They were struggling financially to keep their
        boat afloat. Edith tried valiantly to get the book published after Don's
        death to no avail. Dr. James Horner, Phd gave it a serious shot in 1970's.
        If it gets published it will be with private capital. I commit my
        financial support. Allen

        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2006
          Yup, I know all of that too. But, Joy is one of my
          favorite books for personal reasons. I had to give it
          a shot and see what the response would be and now I
          know. I don't take it personal Keith. Your info is
          always appreciated....tj
          --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
[...]

          aloha-donblanding@...