Unpublished manuscript - No Strings on Tomorrow

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2006
      As most members know I own the original unpublished manuscript (the
      only unpublished one) by DB. Recently I was talking with Petroglyph Press
      about publishing this manuscript but alas at the end they declined. They said
      they supported DB and would be publishing other volumes as they became of
      age but at this time didn't want to STRING me along (pun intended). So, now I
      will go different directions with it. I had offered to write a forward to it giving
      some meaning as to why it came about and was so drastically different than
      other manuscripts by DB, yatta yatta. I'll be looking at other publishers now
      and will go back a few weeks to an email from Cadia about the other
      companies that are also reproducing DB's works. Most interest to me was that
      Petroglyph Press says that the legal standard is now 50 years not 75 years
      and so No Strings on Tomorrow will be 50 years old next year. I guess then, I
      can do what I choose with it. Allen Sawtelle is very interested in having it
      published as an honor to DB and his last manuscript. Are there any other
      ideas out there as to what to do with it???? aloha.....tj
      Message 2 of 4 , May 13, 2006
        Tom,

        I would recommend you self-publish 'No Strings' as I think there would only be a very small
        market for this book, and no publishers are going to back it. As with 'Joy is an inside Job,'
        Don had wandered so far from his Hawaiian poetry roots that only his most loyal fans bought
        copies and from what I have gleaned from the archives of Dodd, Mead & Company, it was a
        money loser and they published 'Joy' more as a favor to Don than anything else.

        If you were to print a limited edition of about fifty copies, I think some from this group would
        buy copies, and you could donate a few to museums and libraries in the places Don lived. It
        would be a nice tribute, but don't expect to recoup your costs...I haven't really made much
        from the Lost Works books I published in December.

        Just my two cents worth...and don't take it as being negative...I just know that publishers out
        there want sure sellers, and 'No Strings' is an obscure, slightly metaphysical last work of a
        little-known author.

        Keith
      • allen@sawtelle.net
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2006
          You are spot on with your comments regarding the publishing of "Strings"
          Keith. I find it hard to plow through the whole thing myself and I was
          present and active in the metaphysical trip he was pursuing at the time he
          gave birth to the book He submitted the manuscript to Dodd Mead and several
          other publishers with no takers. The Science of Mind (Church of Religious
          Science) group headed up by Earnest Holms warmley received the work but they
          were in no position to help. They were struggling financially to keep their
          boat afloat. Edith tried valiantly to get the book published after Don's
          death to no avail. Dr. James Horner, Phd gave it a serious shot in 1970's.
          If it gets published it will be with private capital. I commit my
          financial support. Allen

          Message 4 of 4 , May 14, 2006
            Yup, I know all of that too. But, Joy is one of my
            favorite books for personal reasons. I had to give it
            a shot and see what the response would be and now I
            know. I don't take it personal Keith. Your info is
            always appreciated....tj
            --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
[...]

            aloha-donblanding@...