DOB's that differ by a year

  • Karen Cotter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2006
      I've discovered in my own geneology research that many dates of birth
      and/or deaths are derived from not only the birth or death certificate
      but also Federal census records. It was not unusual for the census
      taker to ask the age of the person in that household and the person
      giving the information would reply 25 but the person had not had their
      birthday that year. For example, my birthday is 12-13-37 but if the
      census was taken in June, 1939, my age would have been given to the
      census taker as 1 but in fact, that year I would have been 2.

      For my relatives living in the 1800's I found this to be true for most
      of them in the 1880 census and it was only by checking the family
      Bibles that I discovered the true age in any given year.