Re: Orre Nobles & DB

    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2006
      Hello, all ...

      The small book by Erna Tilley, "In Remembrance of Orre Nelson Nobles,
      1894-1967, and the Paths of Friendship," privately printed about 1970
      or 1971 is a good resource on both Orre Nobles and DB.

      In a message here last June, I mentioned that some photos of Orre
      Nobles, including one of Erna and DB at Olympus Manor, may be in a
      collection at the University of Washington. This is true. The
      collection, apparently donated by Erna Tilley, contains 12 photos
      from c. 1920 to 1950. A biographical note reads in part:

      "During the early 1920s, he and his family created Olympus Manor, a
      successful artist colony located on the shore of Hood Canal at Union
      [Mason County] where painters, musicians, writers, sculptors and
      dancers gathered to pursue their creative aspirations. Nobles
      designed a grand music room in 1923 in order to enlarge the family
      house. [This music room opened in the summer of 1925.]

      The photo of DB with Erna Tilley was taken about 1935.

      There's some question as to Nobles' dates of birth and death. The
      bio note states that he was born in Minnesota on April 18, 1894, and
      died in Seattle at his home Windy Cliff on December 14, 1967.
      However, the SSDI gives his DOB as April 18, 1895, and his DOD as
      December 15.

      ~~Cadia
    • SSchnei548@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 4, 2006
        Cadia - I can confirm that April 18, 1894 is the correct DOB of Orre Nobles.
        I have some of his diaries where he writes, such as on his 20th birthday,
        what his thoughts are for the future, etc. The Nobles family genecology also
        lists April 18, 1984 as his DOB. (Also his obit in the Mason County paper was
        incorrect in listing his age as 72).

        As to the date of death - the confusion, I believe is that he was found,
        after not being able to reach him, on the 15th but probably died on the 14th.

        Hope this helps - Carol

        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2006
          Carol ...

          Thanks for confirming Orre's DOB as April 18, 1894. The only place I
          have seen 1895 is the Social Security Death Index. Perhaps you would
          like to append a note on that website to correct the year. It's
          possible that incorrect information was provided on the death
          certificate, or that it's just a typo on the website. It happens!