Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Honolulu Star Bulletin 1923 and 1928

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30 10:12 PM
      Interesting connections. I see you are from San
      Rafael. I have family in San Anselmo and they have an
      office in San Rafael. I've been doing some research
      on the Bohemian art colony days of Carmel/Monterey
      from 1900-1914ish. Really interesting times and
      people. Carmel was an early art colony of sorts
      especially after the 1906 earthquake forced them out
      of SF. One person that influenced the young DB was
      John L. Stoddard who later lived in Carmel with the
      Bohemian bunch of which Jack London was the most
      famous.....good talking...tj

      --- SSchnei548@... wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      TJ = The book I referred to is about Orre Nelson
      Nobles, currently being
      written by a man in Union, Washington. I have spent
      the last year trying to
      help him with information regarding the Nobles family
      and their Hood Canal home.

      As a kid, I remembered seeing a framed hand written,
      by DB, poem to Orre
      about his Vagabond's House, hung on the wall over the
      guest book in "Olympus
      Manor's" music room. The manor burned and most
      everything was lost, however,
      Orre found the frame and although burned around the
      edges was still readable.
      He had it reframed and kept it until he died. Last
      year I was able to purchase
      that as well as the picture of DB that Keith used for
      his book from a book
      dealer in Georgia of all places.

      The Manor has quite a history as an artist colony in
      the 20's and on.

      Enough of my rambling - if you are interested in
      further information
      regarding the book, etc. I'm happy to share. You might
      check out the U of W archives
      - just put in Orre Nelson Nobles and chick on U of W
      pictures and archives.

      Carol

      aloha-donblanding@...

      Poetry
      writing Poetry book
      publisher Poetry
      book
      Blanding ut
      Poetry book publishing
      Poetry writing contest

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2006
        Keith ...

        I'm still digging! The S-B provides a further note about DB and
        Cohan's Seattle sojourn, by way of Clifford Gessler's September 8,
        1928, "Slants" column:

        "Absence Not Permanent

        "Don Blanding writes from Seattle to reassure Honolulu friends that
        he was misquoted in the interview in a Seattle paper, recently
        reprinted here, and adds that he is doing his best to counteract that
        story by talking about Hawaii at clubs and schools and on the radio.
        The undersea panels executed by Blanding and Earl Cohan shortly
        before leaving here are on display in a Seattle store. Don says,
        however, that he and Cohan will return to Honolulu, probably in the
        spring."

        Of course, as we know, DB did not return to the Islands again until
        he arrived for Lei Day, 1937.

        Which day, we all failed to note here yesterday ... a belated Aloha,
        Happy Lei Day to all!

        ~~C~~