Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Honolulu Star Bulletin 1923 and 1928

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
      So Carol, what is the book you are referring to? As I
      read about DB in Seattle, it may help explain
      references to his building his Vagabond house
      there......tj

      --- SSchnei548@... wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone
      would be interested.

      I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this
      summer. Also, as I
      understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are
      creating what they hope will be
      an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that
      another art colony is
      being developed on Hood Canal.

      Carol

      aloha-donblanding@...

      Poetry
      writing Poetry book
      publisher Poetry
      book
      Blanding ut
      Poetry book publishing
      Poetry writing contest

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
    • SSchnei548@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
        TJ = The book I referred to is about Orre Nelson Nobles, currently being
        written by a man in Union, Washington. I have spent the last year trying to
        help him with information regarding the Nobles family and their Hood Canal home.

        As a kid, I remembered seeing a framed hand written, by DB, poem to Orre
        about his Vagabond's House, hung on the wall over the guest book in "Olympus
        Manor's" music room. The manor burned and most everything was lost, however,
        Orre found the frame and although burned around the edges was still readable.
        He had it reframed and kept it until he died. Last year I was able to purchase
        that as well as the picture of DB that Keith used for his book from a book
        dealer in Georgia of all places.

        The Manor has quite a history as an artist colony in the 20's and on.

        Enough of my rambling - if you are interested in further information
        regarding the book, etc. I'm happy to share. You might check out the U of W archives
        - just put in Orre Nelson Nobles and chick on U of W pictures and archives.

        Carol

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
          Interesting connections. I see you are from San
          Rafael. I have family in San Anselmo and they have an
          office in San Rafael. I've been doing some research
          on the Bohemian art colony days of Carmel/Monterey
          from 1900-1914ish. Really interesting times and
          people. Carmel was an early art colony of sorts
          especially after the 1906 earthquake forced them out
          of SF. One person that influenced the young DB was
          John L. Stoddard who later lived in Carmel with the
          Bohemian bunch of which Jack London was the most
          famous.....good talking...tj

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2006
            Keith ...

            I'm still digging! The S-B provides a further note about DB and
            Cohan's Seattle sojourn, by way of Clifford Gessler's September 8,
            1928, "Slants" column:

            "Absence Not Permanent

            "Don Blanding writes from Seattle to reassure Honolulu friends that
            he was misquoted in the interview in a Seattle paper, recently
            reprinted here, and adds that he is doing his best to counteract that
            story by talking about Hawaii at clubs and schools and on the radio.
            The undersea panels executed by Blanding and Earl Cohan shortly
            before leaving here are on display in a Seattle store. Don says,
            however, that he and Cohan will return to Honolulu, probably in the
            spring."

            Of course, as we know, DB did not return to the Islands again until
            he arrived for Lei Day, 1937.

            Which day, we all failed to note here yesterday ... a belated Aloha,
            Happy Lei Day to all!

            ~~C~~