Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Honolulu Star Bulletin 1923 and 1928

  • SSchnei548@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2006
      Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone would be interested.

      I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this summer. Also, as I
      understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are creating what they hope will be
      an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that another art colony is
      being developed on Hood Canal.

      Carol

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
        So Carol, what is the book you are referring to? As I
        read about DB in Seattle, it may help explain
        references to his building his Vagabond house
        there......tj

        --- SSchnei548@... wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone
        would be interested.

        I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this
        summer. Also, as I
        understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are
        creating what they hope will be
        an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that
        another art colony is
        being developed on Hood Canal.

        Carol

        aloha-donblanding@...

        Poetry
        writing Poetry book
        publisher Poetry
        book
        Blanding ut
        Poetry book publishing
        Poetry writing contest

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • SSchnei548@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
          TJ = The book I referred to is about Orre Nelson Nobles, currently being
          written by a man in Union, Washington. I have spent the last year trying to
          help him with information regarding the Nobles family and their Hood Canal home.

          As a kid, I remembered seeing a framed hand written, by DB, poem to Orre
          about his Vagabond's House, hung on the wall over the guest book in "Olympus
          Manor's" music room. The manor burned and most everything was lost, however,
          Orre found the frame and although burned around the edges was still readable.
          He had it reframed and kept it until he died. Last year I was able to purchase
          that as well as the picture of DB that Keith used for his book from a book
          dealer in Georgia of all places.

          The Manor has quite a history as an artist colony in the 20's and on.

          Enough of my rambling - if you are interested in further information
          regarding the book, etc. I'm happy to share. You might check out the U of W archives
          - just put in Orre Nelson Nobles and chick on U of W pictures and archives.

          Carol

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
            Interesting connections. I see you are from San
            Rafael. I have family in San Anselmo and they have an
            office in San Rafael. I've been doing some research
            on the Bohemian art colony days of Carmel/Monterey
            from 1900-1914ish. Really interesting times and
            people. Carmel was an early art colony of sorts
            especially after the 1906 earthquake forced them out
            of SF. One person that influenced the young DB was
            John L. Stoddard who later lived in Carmel with the
            Bohemian bunch of which Jack London was the most
            famous.....good talking...tj

            ---------------------------------

            Message 5 of 9 , May 2, 2006
              Keith ...

              I'm still digging! The S-B provides a further note about DB and
              Cohan's Seattle sojourn, by way of Clifford Gessler's September 8,
              1928, "Slants" column:

              "Absence Not Permanent

              "Don Blanding writes from Seattle to reassure Honolulu friends that
              he was misquoted in the interview in a Seattle paper, recently
              reprinted here, and adds that he is doing his best to counteract that
              story by talking about Hawaii at clubs and schools and on the radio.
              The undersea panels executed by Blanding and Earl Cohan shortly
              before leaving here are on display in a Seattle store. Don says,
              however, that he and Cohan will return to Honolulu, probably in the
              spring."

              Of course, as we know, DB did not return to the Islands again until
              he arrived for Lei Day, 1937.

              Which day, we all failed to note here yesterday ... a belated Aloha,
              Happy Lei Day to all!

              ~~C~~