Re: Honolulu Star Bulletin 1923 and 1928

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
      Hi Carol,

      Thanks for the clarification. I wrote from work (surfing on the job) and was commenting from
      memory. I hope to get a chance to go through my notes on Seattle this weekend.

      Do you want to explain to the group the project you have been working on? Or am I being
      bad in spilling th beans?

      Keith

      p.s. Cadia, why do my messages on this Yahoo site always get all all messed up with where
      sentences end?
    • SSchnei548@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2006
        Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone would be interested.

        I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this summer. Also, as I
        understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are creating what they hope will be
        an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that another art colony is
        being developed on Hood Canal.

        Carol

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
          So Carol, what is the book you are referring to? As I
          read about DB in Seattle, it may help explain
          references to his building his Vagabond house
          there......tj

          --- SSchnei548@... wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone
          would be interested.

          I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this
          summer. Also, as I
          understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are
          creating what they hope will be
          an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that
          another art colony is
          being developed on Hood Canal.

          Carol

          aloha-donblanding@...

          Poetry
          writing Poetry book
          publisher Poetry
          book
          Blanding ut
          Poetry book publishing
          Poetry writing contest

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
        • SSchnei548@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
            TJ = The book I referred to is about Orre Nelson Nobles, currently being
            written by a man in Union, Washington. I have spent the last year trying to
            help him with information regarding the Nobles family and their Hood Canal home.

            As a kid, I remembered seeing a framed hand written, by DB, poem to Orre
            about his Vagabond's House, hung on the wall over the guest book in "Olympus
            Manor's" music room. The manor burned and most everything was lost, however,
            Orre found the frame and although burned around the edges was still readable.
            He had it reframed and kept it until he died. Last year I was able to purchase
            that as well as the picture of DB that Keith used for his book from a book
            dealer in Georgia of all places.

            The Manor has quite a history as an artist colony in the 20's and on.

            Enough of my rambling - if you are interested in further information
            regarding the book, etc. I'm happy to share. You might check out the U of W archives
            - just put in Orre Nelson Nobles and chick on U of W pictures and archives.

            Carol

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
              Interesting connections. I see you are from San
              Rafael. I have family in San Anselmo and they have an
              office in San Rafael. I've been doing some research
              on the Bohemian art colony days of Carmel/Monterey
              from 1900-1914ish. Really interesting times and
              people. Carmel was an early art colony of sorts
              especially after the 1906 earthquake forced them out
              of SF. One person that influenced the young DB was
              John L. Stoddard who later lived in Carmel with the
              Bohemian bunch of which Jack London was the most
              famous.....good talking...tj

              ---------------------------------

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                Keith ...

                I'm still digging! The S-B provides a further note about DB and
                Cohan's Seattle sojourn, by way of Clifford Gessler's September 8,
                1928, "Slants" column:

                "Absence Not Permanent

                "Don Blanding writes from Seattle to reassure Honolulu friends that
                he was misquoted in the interview in a Seattle paper, recently
                reprinted here, and adds that he is doing his best to counteract that
                story by talking about Hawaii at clubs and schools and on the radio.
                The undersea panels executed by Blanding and Earl Cohan shortly
                before leaving here are on display in a Seattle store. Don says,
                however, that he and Cohan will return to Honolulu, probably in the
                spring."

                Of course, as we know, DB did not return to the Islands again until
                he arrived for Lei Day, 1937.

                Which day, we all failed to note here yesterday ... a belated Aloha,
                Happy Lei Day to all!

                ~~C~~