Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Honolulu Star Bulletin 1923 and 1928

  • SSchnei548@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28 6:02 PM
      Hi Keith - Just to clarify a few things:

      The Chase brothers lived next to Orre's compound. I well remember them as
      they were often around the Manor. Point of interest - I have a couple of their
      woodblock prints.

      The name of the river is the Skokomish which is also the name of the local
      Indian tribe and their reservation. The Chase brothers activities were
      primarily on the South Fork.

      The Noble's home was "Olympus Manor."

      In the book "Hood Canal Splendor at Risk" (published in 1991) there is a
      reference to the "Once Thriving Artist Colony" (page 225).

      Hope this helps.

      Carol in San Rafael

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28 6:48 PM
        Hi Carol,

        Thanks for the clarification. I wrote from work (surfing on the job) and was commenting from
        memory. I hope to get a chance to go through my notes on Seattle this weekend.

        Do you want to explain to the group the project you have been working on? Or am I being
        bad in spilling th beans?

        Keith

        p.s. Cadia, why do my messages on this Yahoo site always get all all messed up with where
        sentences end?
      • SSchnei548@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29 11:31 AM
          Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone would be interested.

          I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this summer. Also, as I
          understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are creating what they hope will be
          an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that another art colony is
          being developed on Hood Canal.

          Carol

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30 7:14 PM
            So Carol, what is the book you are referring to? As I
            read about DB in Seattle, it may help explain
            references to his building his Vagabond house
            there......tj

            --- SSchnei548@... wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone
            would be interested.

            I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this
            summer. Also, as I
            understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are
            creating what they hope will be
            an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that
            another art colony is
            being developed on Hood Canal.

            Carol

            aloha-donblanding@...

            Poetry
            writing Poetry book
            publisher Poetry
            book
            Blanding ut
            Poetry book publishing
            Poetry writing contest

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------
          • SSchnei548@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30 8:51 PM
              TJ = The book I referred to is about Orre Nelson Nobles, currently being
              written by a man in Union, Washington. I have spent the last year trying to
              help him with information regarding the Nobles family and their Hood Canal home.

              As a kid, I remembered seeing a framed hand written, by DB, poem to Orre
              about his Vagabond's House, hung on the wall over the guest book in "Olympus
              Manor's" music room. The manor burned and most everything was lost, however,
              Orre found the frame and although burned around the edges was still readable.
              He had it reframed and kept it until he died. Last year I was able to purchase
              that as well as the picture of DB that Keith used for his book from a book
              dealer in Georgia of all places.

              The Manor has quite a history as an artist colony in the 20's and on.

              Enough of my rambling - if you are interested in further information
              regarding the book, etc. I'm happy to share. You might check out the U of W archives
              - just put in Orre Nelson Nobles and chick on U of W pictures and archives.

              Carol

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30 10:12 PM
                Interesting connections. I see you are from San
                Rafael. I have family in San Anselmo and they have an
                office in San Rafael. I've been doing some research
                on the Bohemian art colony days of Carmel/Monterey
                from 1900-1914ish. Really interesting times and
                people. Carmel was an early art colony of sorts
                especially after the 1906 earthquake forced them out
                of SF. One person that influenced the young DB was
                John L. Stoddard who later lived in Carmel with the
                Bohemian bunch of which Jack London was the most
                famous.....good talking...tj

                ---------------------------------

                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                  Keith ...

                  I'm still digging! The S-B provides a further note about DB and
                  Cohan's Seattle sojourn, by way of Clifford Gessler's September 8,
                  1928, "Slants" column:

                  "Absence Not Permanent

                  "Don Blanding writes from Seattle to reassure Honolulu friends that
                  he was misquoted in the interview in a Seattle paper, recently
                  reprinted here, and adds that he is doing his best to counteract that
                  story by talking about Hawaii at clubs and schools and on the radio.
                  The undersea panels executed by Blanding and Earl Cohan shortly
                  before leaving here are on display in a Seattle store. Don says,
                  however, that he and Cohan will return to Honolulu, probably in the
                  spring."

                  Of course, as we know, DB did not return to the Islands again until
                  he arrived for Lei Day, 1937.

                  Which day, we all failed to note here yesterday ... a belated Aloha,
                  Happy Lei Day to all!

                  ~~C~~