Re: Honolulu Star Bulletin 1923 and 1928

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
      Cadia,

      Great find on the Honolulu/Seattle stuff.

      I knew Don had spent awhile in Seattle, but I didn't realize he had left as early as mid-July,
      1928. He had had a busy summer what with the first Lei Day and the musical production
      of Hula Moon...he probably needed a break. He signed his Vagabond's House agreement
      with Dodd, Mead & Comany on June 6th and probably got a good cash advance to travel
      with. Did he return then for the funeral?

      I'm not so sure Orre Nobles' Olympia Mansion was the actual artist's coloney...although it
      may have been. I know Don was friends with the Chase brothers in Seattle. Waldo Chase
      and W. Corwin Chase were artist's who formed a colony of sorts in a teepee on the bank of
      some river (I forget which one) and I know that Don visited their studio in 1928.

      The famous photo of Don in a raincoat which was printed on his Vagabond's House
      promotional postcards was taken by a well known photographer in Seattle while he stayed
      there. Also, it's said the first printed copy Don saw of Vagabond's House was in a Seattle
      window, and his first lecture was held in Seattle too, at the home of a socialite. It's
      interesting to hear that Earl Cohan was there with him too. They went to New York
      together and founded the studio there.

      So I think Don had a busy four or five months in Seattle and I'd like to do a little more
      digging in your neck of the woods.

      Keith
    • SSchnei548@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
        Hi Keith - Just to clarify a few things:

        The Chase brothers lived next to Orre's compound. I well remember them as
        they were often around the Manor. Point of interest - I have a couple of their
        woodblock prints.

        The name of the river is the Skokomish which is also the name of the local
        Indian tribe and their reservation. The Chase brothers activities were
        primarily on the South Fork.

        The Noble's home was "Olympus Manor."

        In the book "Hood Canal Splendor at Risk" (published in 1991) there is a
        reference to the "Once Thriving Artist Colony" (page 225).

        Hope this helps.

        Carol in San Rafael

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
          Hi Carol,

          Thanks for the clarification. I wrote from work (surfing on the job) and was commenting from
          memory. I hope to get a chance to go through my notes on Seattle this weekend.

          Do you want to explain to the group the project you have been working on? Or am I being
          bad in spilling th beans?

          Keith

          p.s. Cadia, why do my messages on this Yahoo site always get all all messed up with where
          sentences end?
        • SSchnei548@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 29, 2006
            Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone would be interested.

            I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this summer. Also, as I
            understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are creating what they hope will be
            an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that another art colony is
            being developed on Hood Canal.

            Carol

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
              So Carol, what is the book you are referring to? As I
              read about DB in Seattle, it may help explain
              references to his building his Vagabond house
              there......tj

              --- SSchnei548@... wrote:

              ---------------------------------
              Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone
              would be interested.

              I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this
              summer. Also, as I
              understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are
              creating what they hope will be
              an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that
              another art colony is
              being developed on Hood Canal.

              Carol

              aloha-donblanding@...

              Poetry
              writing Poetry book
              publisher Poetry
              book
              Blanding ut
              Poetry book publishing
              Poetry writing contest

              Terms of Service.

              ---------------------------------
            • SSchnei548@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
                TJ = The book I referred to is about Orre Nelson Nobles, currently being
                written by a man in Union, Washington. I have spent the last year trying to
                help him with information regarding the Nobles family and their Hood Canal home.

                As a kid, I remembered seeing a framed hand written, by DB, poem to Orre
                about his Vagabond's House, hung on the wall over the guest book in "Olympus
                Manor's" music room. The manor burned and most everything was lost, however,
                Orre found the frame and although burned around the edges was still readable.
                He had it reframed and kept it until he died. Last year I was able to purchase
                that as well as the picture of DB that Keith used for his book from a book
                dealer in Georgia of all places.

                The Manor has quite a history as an artist colony in the 20's and on.

                Enough of my rambling - if you are interested in further information
                regarding the book, etc. I'm happy to share. You might check out the U of W archives
                - just put in Orre Nelson Nobles and chick on U of W pictures and archives.

                Carol

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
                  Interesting connections. I see you are from San
                  Rafael. I have family in San Anselmo and they have an
                  office in San Rafael. I've been doing some research
                  on the Bohemian art colony days of Carmel/Monterey
                  from 1900-1914ish. Really interesting times and
                  people. Carmel was an early art colony of sorts
                  especially after the 1906 earthquake forced them out
                  of SF. One person that influenced the young DB was
                  John L. Stoddard who later lived in Carmel with the
                  Bohemian bunch of which Jack London was the most
                  famous.....good talking...tj

                  ---------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                    Keith ...

                    I'm still digging! The S-B provides a further note about DB and
                    Cohan's Seattle sojourn, by way of Clifford Gessler's September 8,
                    1928, "Slants" column:

                    "Absence Not Permanent

                    "Don Blanding writes from Seattle to reassure Honolulu friends that
                    he was misquoted in the interview in a Seattle paper, recently
                    reprinted here, and adds that he is doing his best to counteract that
                    story by talking about Hawaii at clubs and schools and on the radio.
                    The undersea panels executed by Blanding and Earl Cohan shortly
                    before leaving here are on display in a Seattle store. Don says,
                    however, that he and Cohan will return to Honolulu, probably in the
                    spring."

                    Of course, as we know, DB did not return to the Islands again until
                    he arrived for Lei Day, 1937.

                    Which day, we all failed to note here yesterday ... a belated Aloha,
                    Happy Lei Day to all!

                    ~~C~~