Honolulu Star Bulletin 1923 and 1928

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 27, 2006
      Hi, all ...

      First, Keith, I know you did a great job with the Kingfisher gig.
      Please say you'll do more of them ... DB was a popular speaker in so
      many places. Libraries, civic clubs, historical societies would be
      ideal venues.

      Now, to my news:

      I finally received more microfilm, from 1923 and 1928, after waiting
      nearly 4 months.

      The July 11-September 1928 batch has yielded a few choice bits of
      information. First, as we already knew, DB's mother Ida died in
      Honolulu on July 28, 1928, at age 73. What we did not know is that
      bronchial pneumonia was the cause after a 3-day illness. She died at
      Queen's Hospital at 5:30 a.m. Saturday; her funeral was Monday July
      30 at 4:30 p.m. No mention of whether she was buried near her son
      James (who died in 1926 in Honolulu) or if her remains were sent back
      to Oklahoma, where husband Hugh was buried in 1921.

      The obit claims she was 79, but we know she was born in February
      1855. The vital stats column of July 30 gives her address as 1415
      Kinau Street, Honolulu.

      Sadly, DB was not in Honolulu when his mother passed away. On July
      13, he had sailed aboard the Niagara (Canadian-Australasian Royal
      Mail Line) to Seattle, via British Columbia.

      At the time I retrieved the passenger list, I merely confirmed
      DB's name was on it and went on reading microfilm. Last night, I
      came across an article (August 15) about DB, reprinted from the
      Seattle Post-Intelligencer of August 1. Low and behold, Earl Cohan
      (later, aka Earl Challenger) was with DB on the trip from Honolulu to
      Seattle, where they intended to stay for awhile!

      I knew that DB was in Seattle in October 1928 (from finding Seattle
      Times items) but this is the first mention that he was there as early
      as July ... and with Earl. Nice article, and I will trasscribe it
      soon, this weekend if I get a chance.

      All this time, I had thought DB merely stopped in Seattle en route to
      see his publisher in New York, pending publication of Vagabond's
      House. There were hints from the book about Orre Nobles that DB
      remained in Seattle for the winter (with perhaps a quick trip to
      NY?), but this article gives more weight to the idea that he remained
      there for an extended time to work. There's mention of an "artist's
      colony" near Seattle; I suspect this was Orre Nobles' place on the
      Kitsap Peninsula.

      I'll continue reading film and check in again on Saturday.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
        Cadia,

        Great find on the Honolulu/Seattle stuff.

        I knew Don had spent awhile in Seattle, but I didn't realize he had left as early as mid-July,
        1928. He had had a busy summer what with the first Lei Day and the musical production
        of Hula Moon...he probably needed a break. He signed his Vagabond's House agreement
        with Dodd, Mead & Comany on June 6th and probably got a good cash advance to travel
        with. Did he return then for the funeral?

        I'm not so sure Orre Nobles' Olympia Mansion was the actual artist's coloney...although it
        may have been. I know Don was friends with the Chase brothers in Seattle. Waldo Chase
        and W. Corwin Chase were artist's who formed a colony of sorts in a teepee on the bank of
        some river (I forget which one) and I know that Don visited their studio in 1928.

        The famous photo of Don in a raincoat which was printed on his Vagabond's House
        promotional postcards was taken by a well known photographer in Seattle while he stayed
        there. Also, it's said the first printed copy Don saw of Vagabond's House was in a Seattle
        window, and his first lecture was held in Seattle too, at the home of a socialite. It's
        interesting to hear that Earl Cohan was there with him too. They went to New York
        together and founded the studio there.

        So I think Don had a busy four or five months in Seattle and I'd like to do a little more
        digging in your neck of the woods.

        Keith
      • SSchnei548@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
          Hi Keith - Just to clarify a few things:

          The Chase brothers lived next to Orre's compound. I well remember them as
          they were often around the Manor. Point of interest - I have a couple of their
          woodblock prints.

          The name of the river is the Skokomish which is also the name of the local
          Indian tribe and their reservation. The Chase brothers activities were
          primarily on the South Fork.

          The Noble's home was "Olympus Manor."

          In the book "Hood Canal Splendor at Risk" (published in 1991) there is a
          reference to the "Once Thriving Artist Colony" (page 225).

          Hope this helps.

          Carol in San Rafael

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 28, 2006
            Hi Carol,

            Thanks for the clarification. I wrote from work (surfing on the job) and was commenting from
            memory. I hope to get a chance to go through my notes on Seattle this weekend.

            Do you want to explain to the group the project you have been working on? Or am I being
            bad in spilling th beans?

            Keith

            p.s. Cadia, why do my messages on this Yahoo site always get all all messed up with where
            sentences end?
          • SSchnei548@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 29, 2006
              Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone would be interested.

              I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this summer. Also, as I
              understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are creating what they hope will be
              an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that another art colony is
              being developed on Hood Canal.

              Carol

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
                So Carol, what is the book you are referring to? As I
                read about DB in Seattle, it may help explain
                references to his building his Vagabond house
                there......tj

                --- SSchnei548@... wrote:

                ---------------------------------
                Keith - Sure, I would be willing to share if anyone
                would be interested.

                I believe Mike is hoping to finish the book this
                summer. Also, as I
                understand, a group (mainly Seattle opera people) are
                creating what they hope will be
                an annual Orre Nobles Music Festival. Mike feels that
                another art colony is
                being developed on Hood Canal.

                Carol

                aloha-donblanding@...

                Poetry
                writing Poetry book
                publisher Poetry
                book
                Blanding ut
                Poetry book publishing
                Poetry writing contest

                Terms of Service.

                ---------------------------------
              • SSchnei548@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
                  TJ = The book I referred to is about Orre Nelson Nobles, currently being
                  written by a man in Union, Washington. I have spent the last year trying to
                  help him with information regarding the Nobles family and their Hood Canal home.

                  As a kid, I remembered seeing a framed hand written, by DB, poem to Orre
                  about his Vagabond's House, hung on the wall over the guest book in "Olympus
                  Manor's" music room. The manor burned and most everything was lost, however,
                  Orre found the frame and although burned around the edges was still readable.
                  He had it reframed and kept it until he died. Last year I was able to purchase
                  that as well as the picture of DB that Keith used for his book from a book
                  dealer in Georgia of all places.

                  The Manor has quite a history as an artist colony in the 20's and on.

                  Enough of my rambling - if you are interested in further information
                  regarding the book, etc. I'm happy to share. You might check out the U of W archives
                  - just put in Orre Nelson Nobles and chick on U of W pictures and archives.

                  Carol

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
                    Interesting connections. I see you are from San
                    Rafael. I have family in San Anselmo and they have an
                    office in San Rafael. I've been doing some research
                    on the Bohemian art colony days of Carmel/Monterey
                    from 1900-1914ish. Really interesting times and
                    people. Carmel was an early art colony of sorts
                    especially after the 1906 earthquake forced them out
                    of SF. One person that influenced the young DB was
                    John L. Stoddard who later lived in Carmel with the
                    Bohemian bunch of which Jack London was the most
                    famous.....good talking...tj

                    ---------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2006
                      Keith ...

                      I'm still digging! The S-B provides a further note about DB and
                      Cohan's Seattle sojourn, by way of Clifford Gessler's September 8,
                      1928, "Slants" column:

                      "Absence Not Permanent

                      "Don Blanding writes from Seattle to reassure Honolulu friends that
                      he was misquoted in the interview in a Seattle paper, recently
                      reprinted here, and adds that he is doing his best to counteract that
                      story by talking about Hawaii at clubs and schools and on the radio.
                      The undersea panels executed by Blanding and Earl Cohan shortly
                      before leaving here are on display in a Seattle store. Don says,
                      however, that he and Cohan will return to Honolulu, probably in the
                      spring."

                      Of course, as we know, DB did not return to the Islands again until
                      he arrived for Lei Day, 1937.

                      Which day, we all failed to note here yesterday ... a belated Aloha,
                      Happy Lei Day to all!

                      ~~C~~