Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Don Blanding talks

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
      You'll have more than I for your lecture. We are
      expecting heavy rain tonight and that will cut down on
      attendance. Do what ya gotta do though. I think you
      will have a very interested audience in Kingfisher
      however. He's their local boy you know. In my
      lectures the questions that seem to continually come
      up are:

      1. If he's from Oklahoma, how does he rate so high in
      Hawaii....you know the desert vs the sea kind of
      thing.

      2. Why wasn't he married sooner? Was he gay?

      3. Why wasn't he more popular in Hollywood, if he was
      so good?

      4. Why do you think he disappeared off the map after
      he died? Do you think you can really revive his work
      and life?

      Think about these questions ahead of time. They might
      just come up or as I do, I just lead into them ahead
      of time as part of my intro. Hope it goes well and
      you have a ton of people...tj
      --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Tom,

      I got a 'google alert' of your talk. I have google
      alert me if anything comes up in the news for
      Blanding, which rarely happens, as you know.

      Well Tom, a market of 18,000 is alot more than I have.
      Kingfisher has about 5,000
      inhabitants. I don't expect an audience of more than
      thirty or forty folks at my talk, which I
      just found out was at 7:00pm. Apperently the Don
      Blanding Poetry Society in Enid has been
      invited.

      Good luck with your talk!

      aloha-donblanding@...

      Poetry
      writing Poetry book
      publisher Poetry
      book
      Blanding ut
      Poetry book publishing
      Poetry writing contest

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
    • pgbusi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
        Keith, interesting questions. How do you answer the gay one? One source I
        talked to long ago felt that he and Scotty had a relationship.
        Dean

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
          Tom...here's how I'd answer those questions if they were to come up:

          1. If he's from Oklahoma, how does he rate so high in Hawaii....you know the desert vs the
          sea kind of thing? Where we're born and where we blossom are two different things.

          2. Why wasn't he married sooner? Was he gay? He may have been gay, he may have been
          bi-sexual, he may have been straight. There's not enough evidence to prove anything one
          way or the other, and it's not really relevant to his life's work in any case.

          3. Why wasn't he more popular in Hollywood, if he was so good? Don was a very small fish in
          a very large pond (Hollywood).

          4. Why do you think he disappeared off the map after he died? Do you think you can really
          revive his work and life? If he had written fiction instead of poetry he would have had more
          staying power. The fact that five of his books are still being printed a half century after his
          death tells me that he never really disappeared completely though.

          Keith
        • Karen Cotter
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
            Good replies, Keith!