Re: Don Blanding talks

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
      Tom,

      I got a 'google alert' of your talk. I have google alert me if anything comes up in the news for
      Blanding, which rarely happens, as you know.

      Well Tom, a market of 18,000 is alot more than I have. Kingfisher has about 5,000
      inhabitants. I don't expect an audience of more than thirty or forty folks at my talk, which I
      just found out was at 7:00pm. Apperently the Don Blanding Poetry Society in Enid has been
      invited.

      Good luck with your talk!

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
        You'll have more than I for your lecture. We are
        expecting heavy rain tonight and that will cut down on
        attendance. Do what ya gotta do though. I think you
        will have a very interested audience in Kingfisher
        however. He's their local boy you know. In my
        lectures the questions that seem to continually come
        up are:

        1. If he's from Oklahoma, how does he rate so high in
        Hawaii....you know the desert vs the sea kind of
        thing.

        2. Why wasn't he married sooner? Was he gay?

        3. Why wasn't he more popular in Hollywood, if he was
        so good?

        4. Why do you think he disappeared off the map after
        he died? Do you think you can really revive his work
        and life?

        Think about these questions ahead of time. They might
        just come up or as I do, I just lead into them ahead
        of time as part of my intro. Hope it goes well and
        you have a ton of people...tj
        --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Tom,

        I got a 'google alert' of your talk. I have google
        alert me if anything comes up in the news for
        Blanding, which rarely happens, as you know.

        Well Tom, a market of 18,000 is alot more than I have.
        Kingfisher has about 5,000
        inhabitants. I don't expect an audience of more than
        thirty or forty folks at my talk, which I
        just found out was at 7:00pm. Apperently the Don
        Blanding Poetry Society in Enid has been
        invited.

        Good luck with your talk!

        aloha-donblanding@...

        Poetry
        writing Poetry book
        publisher Poetry
        book
        Blanding ut
        Poetry book publishing
        Poetry writing contest

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • pgbusi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
          Keith, interesting questions. How do you answer the gay one? One source I
          talked to long ago felt that he and Scotty had a relationship.
          Dean

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
            Tom...here's how I'd answer those questions if they were to come up:

            1. If he's from Oklahoma, how does he rate so high in Hawaii....you know the desert vs the
            sea kind of thing? Where we're born and where we blossom are two different things.

            2. Why wasn't he married sooner? Was he gay? He may have been gay, he may have been
            bi-sexual, he may have been straight. There's not enough evidence to prove anything one
            way or the other, and it's not really relevant to his life's work in any case.

            3. Why wasn't he more popular in Hollywood, if he was so good? Don was a very small fish in
            a very large pond (Hollywood).

            4. Why do you think he disappeared off the map after he died? Do you think you can really
            revive his work and life? If he had written fiction instead of poetry he would have had more
            staying power. The fact that five of his books are still being printed a half century after his
            death tells me that he never really disappeared completely though.

            Keith
          • Karen Cotter
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2006
              Good replies, Keith!