Re: [aloha-donblanding] Don Blanding talks

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4 9:23 AM
      I am amazed at how you keep track of things online!!!
      Yes, my talk is tonight. Have no idea of what to
      expect. This is a small mountain community of 18,000
      people total, spread out all over the place. One
      thing I will stress tonight is the Blanding/Earle
      Stanley Gardner (ESG) friendship. Gardner grew up in
      these parts and I suspect DB must have visited the
      area. I hope some reeeelllllly old people are here
      tonight as they would be the audience that would
      remember these things. My mini Library display has
      drawn a little attention but not a lot yet. I got one
      lead on a house owned by ESG during the years that DB
      would have been in Carmel/Monterey. Chico Ca. (right
      below Paradise Ca.) is on the old route to Oregon and
      DB might have used it as a pit stop with ESG. Well,
      who knows.......I'll give a report tomorrow on the
      lecture...aloha..tj

      --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Hey TJ...I'm going to plug our talks. I'm assuming
      yours is today?

      NATIONAL LIBRARY WEEK, PARADISE LIBRARY EVENT: 7 p.m.
      Conference room, 5922 Clark
      Road. Tom Markle, Paradise resident and collector of
      Blanding books, poems, letters, Vernon
      Ware dinner plates, music and artwork presents, "Meet
      Don Blanding, 1894-1957: Artist by
      Nature, Actor by Instinct, Poet by Accident and
      Vagabond by Choice." 872-6320 during
      library hours.

      My lecture is the evening of April 17th, Kingfisher
      Library, Kingfisher, Oklahoma (I'm still not
      sure what time it is).

      I'll take some pictures of Don Blanding Avenue.

      aloha-donblanding@...

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4 12:18 PM
        Tom,

        I got a 'google alert' of your talk. I have google alert me if anything comes up in the news for
        Blanding, which rarely happens, as you know.

        Well Tom, a market of 18,000 is alot more than I have. Kingfisher has about 5,000
        inhabitants. I don't expect an audience of more than thirty or forty folks at my talk, which I
        just found out was at 7:00pm. Apperently the Don Blanding Poetry Society in Enid has been
        invited.

        Good luck with your talk!

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4 12:48 PM
          You'll have more than I for your lecture. We are
          expecting heavy rain tonight and that will cut down on
          attendance. Do what ya gotta do though. I think you
          will have a very interested audience in Kingfisher
          however. He's their local boy you know. In my
          lectures the questions that seem to continually come
          up are:

          1. If he's from Oklahoma, how does he rate so high in
          Hawaii....you know the desert vs the sea kind of
          thing.

          2. Why wasn't he married sooner? Was he gay?

          3. Why wasn't he more popular in Hollywood, if he was
          so good?

          4. Why do you think he disappeared off the map after
          he died? Do you think you can really revive his work
          and life?

          Think about these questions ahead of time. They might
          just come up or as I do, I just lead into them ahead
          of time as part of my intro. Hope it goes well and
          you have a ton of people...tj
          --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          Tom,

          I got a 'google alert' of your talk. I have google
          alert me if anything comes up in the news for
          Blanding, which rarely happens, as you know.

          Well Tom, a market of 18,000 is alot more than I have.
          Kingfisher has about 5,000
          inhabitants. I don't expect an audience of more than
          thirty or forty folks at my talk, which I
          just found out was at 7:00pm. Apperently the Don
          Blanding Poetry Society in Enid has been
          invited.

          Good luck with your talk!

          aloha-donblanding@...

          Poetry
          writing Poetry book
          publisher Poetry
          book
          Blanding ut
          Poetry book publishing
          Poetry writing contest

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
        • pgbusi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4 3:17 PM
            Keith, interesting questions. How do you answer the gay one? One source I
            talked to long ago felt that he and Scotty had a relationship.
            Dean

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4 3:25 PM
              Tom...here's how I'd answer those questions if they were to come up:

              1. If he's from Oklahoma, how does he rate so high in Hawaii....you know the desert vs the
              sea kind of thing? Where we're born and where we blossom are two different things.

              2. Why wasn't he married sooner? Was he gay? He may have been gay, he may have been
              bi-sexual, he may have been straight. There's not enough evidence to prove anything one
              way or the other, and it's not really relevant to his life's work in any case.

              3. Why wasn't he more popular in Hollywood, if he was so good? Don was a very small fish in
              a very large pond (Hollywood).

              4. Why do you think he disappeared off the map after he died? Do you think you can really
              revive his work and life? If he had written fiction instead of poetry he would have had more
              staying power. The fact that five of his books are still being printed a half century after his
              death tells me that he never really disappeared completely though.

              Keith
            • Karen Cotter
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4 6:04 PM
                Good replies, Keith!

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5 8:35 PM
                  Great answers to questions, I don't think this group has every really
                  answered.