Fred Genee' poem

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21, 2006
      Hand written poem from Edithe's husband. A card
      (dated Oct 11, 1946) in the book Today is Here suggest
      they were at a party held in their honor as they
      traveled. The poem makes me wonder if famous Fan
      Dancer, Sally Rand was not there.....Fred's poem:

      What a wonderful girl is
      Sally Rand,
      The why I never could understand
      Till she went through the stubble
      Which burst her bubble,
      But that wasn't the end of all
      Of her trouble,
      For as she ran, she drop't her fan
      Then I knew the Why about Sally Rand

      This book was signed by DB to, Daisy Lee who evidently
      through the party and hosted them for the night.

      Just thought y'all might get a kick outa this poem.....tj
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 21, 2006
        tj - as I recall Keith sent me on a wild goose chase back about 3 years ago.
        He thought he'd discovered that Edith Hope Genee lived not too far from me
        in what is now old North Hollywood and a Mexican slum. I belive the time
        frame was the 1940's. I found the address but don't think it was still the
        same house,etc. It is now two lots combined into one, surrounded by pink
        cinder block 8 feet high with an ornamental iron gate such as they fancy in
        Tijuana and several small, newer (looks like late 1950's) homes scattered on
        the property. No one at home that I could see and the neighborhood was
        scattered with little latin ragamuffins. I'm sure an inquiry about the
        history of that property would have been met with blank stares and "no
        sabe". K

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 21, 2006
          Karen ...

          We have photos of the Genee home in North Hollywood, taken a few years
          ago:

          Files > Photos > Places DB Lived or Visited > Los Angeles - North
          Hollywood > North Hollywood

          DB's studio is gone, but the house and yard are quite lovely. I seem
          to recall it's surrounded now by several apartment buildings.

          ~~Cadia

          P. S. Cute poem, TJ!
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 21, 2006
            Karen,
            The wild goose chase you went on a number of years back was for the former home of Nell
            Martin.

            Tom,
            The Sally Rand connection with Don was through a mutual friend in Lawton, Oklahoma.
            Lucille Henderson was a childhood friend of Don's (she reportedly bought his first drawing)
            and she was also friends with Sally. Lucille sponsored/hosted alot of soldiers during WWII and
            she may have met Saly through a war benefit or something.

            I was given a large lot of Blanding letters owned by Lucille a few years back, and within the
            letters was one Sally wrote to Lucille.

            Cadia,
            I believe it was Bev who took the North Ogden pictures.

            By-the-way, can anyone think of any drawings of dogs Blanding did for any of his books?

            Keith
          • Karen Cotter
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 21, 2006
              You are so right, Keith! Now I remember! It's hard to trace anyone in this
              Valley - it was not much of anything until massive development post WWII and
              finding old phone books, etc. is very difficult. Thanks for setting me
              straight.....ah, senility, it's so much fun.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 21, 2006
                I've recently combed through all of DB's books and
                can't remember any dog pic's he did.

                --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

                ---------------------------------
[...]

                aloha-donblanding@...

                Poetry
                writing Poetry book
                publisher Poetry
                book
                Blanding ut
                Poetry book publishing
                Poetry writing contest

                Terms of Service.

                ---------------------------------
              • pgbusi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 22, 2006
                  Believe I took the Ogden pics----I remember going to the site, an old house
                  sitting bewteen two large apartment buildings. Perhaps, Bev took pics, too.
                  Dean

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 22, 2006
                    Sorry Dean...my goof.

                    Keith

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 22, 2006
                      No Dean,

                      You took those photos. I took the Northe photos.

                      Keep the talk going....very interesting.

                      sitting bewteen two large apartment buildings. Perhaps, Bev took pics,
                      too.
                      Dean

                      Service.