Re: [aloha-donblanding] DB Hawaiian Prints

  • Jackie Collins
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2006
      Hi Keith

      I noticed on your website in the Hawaiian Shirt
      section, you have a picture of a young lady
      modelling clothes of Hawaiian prints designed
      by DB.

      I think I recognize the model as my late mother-
      in-law, the former Nancy Buck. Can you tell me
      where this picture appeared and if you still have
      the article?

      Nancy modelled clothes and owned with my father
      in law about 27 retail stores in Waikiki in the 50's
      and 60's (i.e. Paradise Clothing, Island Sportswear)
      She later married Jonah Cummings
      who was the cousin of Andy Cummings (the song
      writer mentioned in your web page of friends of DB).
      She was also a good friend of DB.

      Aloha........Jackie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2006
        Hi Jackie,

        I'm responding to your message about the model on my Hawaiian shirts
        page. You said it may be your mother in law...how interesting!

        In May 2003 a woman from Sacramento donated a whole folder of items
        to me from her late grandmother Jeanne Wright, who designed
        Blanding's first line of Hawaiian clothing in 1953.

        Included in the packet were about a dozen photos of the
        designs...most of them being modeled by this woman. Also there were
        some drawings (possibly by Don) and articles about the designs,
        advertisements, etc...

        I've uploaded a better photo of the model to my website. Please look
        at it and let me know if it is indeed Nancy Buck so that I can
        update my notes. Link to photo:

        http://www.don-blanding.com/model.jpg

        Also, thanks for your kind comments on the 'Lost Works' book.