DB thoughts

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
      Knowing how DB loved the simple things in nature and knowing that he
      believed not in death but transitioning, I created the following poem while
      watching a simple leaf fall from the top of a tree to the forest floor behind my
      house. I thought of DB as it came to me. I only hope that it prints out correctly
      as without the cadence it will loose itself. In honor of the simple side of DB:

      AUTUMN LEAF

      I let go
      Of my summer grip
      And began a graceful
      Swan dive
      To earth
      Experiencing
      Once more
      The journey
      From leaf
      To dust
      Beneath the tree
      That gave me
      Summer sustenance
      Knowing that my dust
      Would once again
      Return to the tree
      And I would
      once again become
      The leaf
      That
      Will
      Always
      Be

      Thanks for reading it....tj
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2006
        Mahalo
        Knowing how DB loved the simple things in nature and knowing that he
        believed not in death but transitioning, I created the following poem
        while
        watching a simple leaf fall from the top of a tree to the forest floor
        behind my
        house. I thought of DB as it came to me. I only hope that it prints out
        correctly
        as without the cadence it will loose itself. In honor of the simple side
        of DB:

        AUTUMN LEAF

        I let go
        Of my summer grip
        And began a graceful
        Swan dive
        To earth
        Experiencing
        Once more
        The journey
        From leaf
        To dust
        Beneath the tree
        That gave me
        Summer sustenance
        Knowing that my dust
        Would once again
        Return to the tree
        And I would
        once again become
        The leaf
        That
        Will
        Always
        Be

        Thanks for reading it....tj

        Service.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2006
          To tj
          I mostly monitor the site because I too love DB and have three of his old
          books which I refer to often. I'm going to print out your poem and place it in
          between the pages of my copy of Vagabond's House.
          Thanks for the lovely poem!
          RC

        • Linda Cast
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2006
            What I'm going to ask is a real stretch, but coincidences happen - has anyone found a tattered copy of Vagabond's house that contains a slip of paper with the following poem in it (not a DB poem)? I would like to buy the book back (lost years ago).

            I will leave this house, for I am tired of this house
            and too much talk.

            I'll go down to the sea, where the wind blows the waves to chalk
            and the sand scratches like a silver mouse.
            I'll leave everything here and walk.

            I do not know why grass, twisted like sodden leather into strings
            should heal me altogether.
            I do not know the reason for such things.

            I only know that here are walls that harden the eyes and brain,
            words that hiss and hurt and pardon, only to hurt again
            and that the sea is peace, an emerald garden
            filled with crystal winds and candid rain.

            author unknown, cut out of a magazine about 1964

            Thanks,
            Linda

            AhrSea@... wrote: To tj
            I mostly monitor the site because I too love DB and have three of his old
            books which I refer to often. I'm going to print out your poem and place it in
            between the pages of my copy of Vagabond's House.
            Thanks for the lovely poem!
            RC

            ---------------------------------

          • Jackie Collins
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
              Linda
              What a sad poem. The writer
              must have had such dark thoughts.

              Can you recall the magazine which published
              the copy you had? Is that the poem in its
              entirety?

              I hope you find it!

              Aloha...........Jackie

              Jacqueline Collins, Realtor Associate
              Mary Worrall Associates, Inc.
              Exclusive Affiliate of Christie's Great Estates
              Cell: (808) 224-4285
              Office: (808) 739-4465
              FAX: (808) 394-2201
              email: JackieCollins@...
              (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
            • Linda Cast
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
                Jackie,

                Hey, thanks for replying! I can still envision the
                poem on the lower corner of a page that was common
                style (not the New Yorker or Time, for example). That
                was in 1963 or 4 - maybe Life? I tore it out, so it
                must have been a subscription. I'm sure it's the
                complete poem, as I memorized it and considered it
                frequently. I loved the beach more than any house, and
                thought of the poem as praise of the beach. Probably
                too young to think about sad walls.

                Thanks for your kind thoughts, it was fun telling you
                about it.

                Linda

                --- Jackie Collins <jackiecollins@...>

                http://mail.yahoo.com