Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Don Blanding Fan

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
      How is the book going? I am ready to purchase a bunch of them as well.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
        Aloha all,

        Just got back from San Francisco and trying to catch up on all these
        messages. No activity for months and I'm gone a week and all hell
        breaks loose.

        Tom, you asked about a tape of my lecture. I'll look into that. I'd
        have to ask the Friends of the Kingfisher Library and see what they
        think. I'm planning on setting up a Poerpoint type of
        presentation...so at the very least I can send you a copy of that.

        I found tons of Blanding books in S.F. - most of them ordinary
        copies though. I did find a nice grass-bound copy of Leaves From A
        Grass House just a block away from my hotel. Also one of Don's color
        greeting cards.

        I also discovered that Dashiell Hammett lived in an apartment
        building just two blocks from where I was staying. I ate at John's
        Grill that Dashiell frequented in the twenties, which he made famous
        in The Maltese Falcon.

        Keith

        > Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to
        speed with
        > you. I will happily pay for it.
        >
        > aloha
        > Tom

      • Jackie Collins
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
          Hi everyone

          I recently received a package of items I ordered
          through Keith's web site. What a treat. I'm really
          enjoying "The Lost Works of Don Blanding"......
          .......keep them coming, Keith.

          I also bought an old copy of "In an Old Hawaiian Garden" by DB from
          Keith recently. (I lost my only copy years ago). I have a framed
          excerpt of this book on the wall in my study. (DB would have loved
          my garden).

          Another book which is an absolute must is one
          recently published by a colleague of mine
          "Hawai'i, A Sense of Place" by Mary Philpotts McGrath.
          It traces the history (and illustrates) Hawaii's home interiors
          and describes how they are reflections of our lifestyles here in
          the Islands. Starting with the early 1800's and the 'grass' houses
          and coming full circle to describe our lovely "island style" art
          and decor today, with beautiful pictures of our Island furnishings
          made or fashioned of the natural materials we have come to cherish.
          You can imagine DB in any of these settings which have been
          photographed beautifully.
          Of special value, you will find DB's poems smattered on full pages
          all through this beautiful book, all excerpts from "Vagabond's House".

          Aloha..............Jackie
          email: JackieCollins@...
        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
            Jackie

            I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
            inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula Moons
            Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
            Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
            books at the library and read them.

            aloha
            Maui Tom

          • Jackie Collins
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
              Hey Maui Tom....
              Yes, the Hula Moons at Wailea brought DB
              to the surface again! Are you an artist? You mention
              your making of menus.

              I was a 'Maui girl" at that time. Lived there for
              twenty-two years while raising my family.
              We lived first in upcountry Kula, then Napili, then ocean-side
              Haiku (amidst the pineapple fields).

              Aloha.......Jackie
              (By the way, To albertorchidal --
              FYI - I have lived all over the world
              but never in an Ivory Tower as you would infer!)

              **********************************
              Jackie

              I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
              inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula
              Moons
              Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
              Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
              books at the library and read them.

              aloha
              Maui Tom

              Yahoo! Groups Links