Re: [aloha-donblanding] Don Blanding Fan

  • Jackie Collins
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
      What a treasure Cindy has found!
      I love the practice of inscribing books with tributes and
      missives.

      If I had to guess, I would say E.M.D. sounds to be a male friend of DB.

      Aloha...........Jackie

      email: JackieCollins@...
      (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
        Keith
        Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to speed with
        you. I will happily pay for it.

        aloha
        Tom

      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
          Keith
          How is the book going? I am ready to purchase a bunch of them as well.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
            Aloha all,

            Just got back from San Francisco and trying to catch up on all these
            messages. No activity for months and I'm gone a week and all hell
            breaks loose.

            Tom, you asked about a tape of my lecture. I'll look into that. I'd
            have to ask the Friends of the Kingfisher Library and see what they
            think. I'm planning on setting up a Poerpoint type of
            presentation...so at the very least I can send you a copy of that.

            I found tons of Blanding books in S.F. - most of them ordinary
            copies though. I did find a nice grass-bound copy of Leaves From A
            Grass House just a block away from my hotel. Also one of Don's color
            greeting cards.

            I also discovered that Dashiell Hammett lived in an apartment
            building just two blocks from where I was staying. I ate at John's
            Grill that Dashiell frequented in the twenties, which he made famous
            in The Maltese Falcon.

            Keith

            > Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to
            speed with
            > you. I will happily pay for it.
            >
            > aloha
            > Tom

          • Jackie Collins
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
              Hi everyone

              I recently received a package of items I ordered
              through Keith's web site. What a treat. I'm really
              enjoying "The Lost Works of Don Blanding"......
              .......keep them coming, Keith.

              I also bought an old copy of "In an Old Hawaiian Garden" by DB from
              Keith recently. (I lost my only copy years ago). I have a framed
              excerpt of this book on the wall in my study. (DB would have loved
              my garden).

              Another book which is an absolute must is one
              recently published by a colleague of mine
              "Hawai'i, A Sense of Place" by Mary Philpotts McGrath.
              It traces the history (and illustrates) Hawaii's home interiors
              and describes how they are reflections of our lifestyles here in
              the Islands. Starting with the early 1800's and the 'grass' houses
              and coming full circle to describe our lovely "island style" art
              and decor today, with beautiful pictures of our Island furnishings
              made or fashioned of the natural materials we have come to cherish.
              You can imagine DB in any of these settings which have been
              photographed beautifully.
              Of special value, you will find DB's poems smattered on full pages
              all through this beautiful book, all excerpts from "Vagabond's House".

              Aloha..............Jackie
              email: JackieCollins@...
            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                Jackie

                I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula Moons
                Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                books at the library and read them.

                aloha
                Maui Tom

              • Jackie Collins
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                  Hey Maui Tom....
                  Yes, the Hula Moons at Wailea brought DB
                  to the surface again! Are you an artist? You mention
                  your making of menus.

                  I was a 'Maui girl" at that time. Lived there for
                  twenty-two years while raising my family.
                  We lived first in upcountry Kula, then Napili, then ocean-side
                  Haiku (amidst the pineapple fields).

                  Aloha.......Jackie
                  (By the way, To albertorchidal --
                  FYI - I have lived all over the world
                  but never in an Ivory Tower as you would infer!)

                  **********************************
                  Jackie

                  I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                  inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula
                  Moons
                  Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                  Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                  books at the library and read them.

                  aloha
                  Maui Tom

                  Yahoo! Groups Links