Re: Don Blanding Fan

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
      Cindy ...

      Welcome aboard! That's a very nice find, indeed.

      DB's ashes were scattered in the waters off Honolulu on July 15, 1957.
      The ceremony included Hawaiian canoes, chants and, of course, leis.

      I'm not sure if I've transcribed the relevant articles from the Star-
      Bulletin and other newspapers, but take a peek at our Files and see
      what's there.

      ~~Cadia
    • Jackie Collins
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
        What a treasure Cindy has found!
        I love the practice of inscribing books with tributes and
        missives.

        If I had to guess, I would say E.M.D. sounds to be a male friend of DB.

        Aloha...........Jackie

        email: JackieCollins@...
        (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
          Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to speed with
          you. I will happily pay for it.

          aloha
          Tom

        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
            How is the book going? I am ready to purchase a bunch of them as well.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
              Aloha all,

              Just got back from San Francisco and trying to catch up on all these
              messages. No activity for months and I'm gone a week and all hell
              breaks loose.

              Tom, you asked about a tape of my lecture. I'll look into that. I'd
              have to ask the Friends of the Kingfisher Library and see what they
              think. I'm planning on setting up a Poerpoint type of
              presentation...so at the very least I can send you a copy of that.

              I found tons of Blanding books in S.F. - most of them ordinary
              copies though. I did find a nice grass-bound copy of Leaves From A
              Grass House just a block away from my hotel. Also one of Don's color
              greeting cards.

              I also discovered that Dashiell Hammett lived in an apartment
              building just two blocks from where I was staying. I ate at John's
              Grill that Dashiell frequented in the twenties, which he made famous
              in The Maltese Falcon.

              Keith

              > Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to
              speed with
              > you. I will happily pay for it.
              >
              > aloha
              > Tom

            • Jackie Collins
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                Hi everyone

                I recently received a package of items I ordered
                through Keith's web site. What a treat. I'm really
                enjoying "The Lost Works of Don Blanding"......
                .......keep them coming, Keith.

                I also bought an old copy of "In an Old Hawaiian Garden" by DB from
                Keith recently. (I lost my only copy years ago). I have a framed
                excerpt of this book on the wall in my study. (DB would have loved
                my garden).

                Another book which is an absolute must is one
                recently published by a colleague of mine
                "Hawai'i, A Sense of Place" by Mary Philpotts McGrath.
                It traces the history (and illustrates) Hawaii's home interiors
                and describes how they are reflections of our lifestyles here in
                the Islands. Starting with the early 1800's and the 'grass' houses
                and coming full circle to describe our lovely "island style" art
                and decor today, with beautiful pictures of our Island furnishings
                made or fashioned of the natural materials we have come to cherish.
                You can imagine DB in any of these settings which have been
                photographed beautifully.
                Of special value, you will find DB's poems smattered on full pages
                all through this beautiful book, all excerpts from "Vagabond's House".

                Aloha..............Jackie
                email: JackieCollins@...
              • mauibandb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                  Jackie

                  I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                  inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula Moons
                  Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                  Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                  books at the library and read them.

                  aloha
                  Maui Tom

                • Jackie Collins
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                    Hey Maui Tom....
                    Yes, the Hula Moons at Wailea brought DB
                    to the surface again! Are you an artist? You mention
                    your making of menus.

                    I was a 'Maui girl" at that time. Lived there for
                    twenty-two years while raising my family.
                    We lived first in upcountry Kula, then Napili, then ocean-side
                    Haiku (amidst the pineapple fields).

                    Aloha.......Jackie
                    (By the way, To albertorchidal --
                    FYI - I have lived all over the world
                    but never in an Ivory Tower as you would infer!)

                    **********************************
                    Jackie

                    I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                    inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula
                    Moons
                    Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                    Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                    books at the library and read them.

                    aloha
                    Maui Tom

                    Yahoo! Groups Links