Re: [aloha-donblanding] Don Blanding Fan

  • Curt Blanding
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
      Hi Cindy,

      Thanks for your wonderful share.

      Is there any chance that the initials might be
      E.H.D instead of E.M.D.?

      That could be Edward H. Dodd, President of Dodd Mead & Company who
      published Hawaii Says Aloha and most of Don's books.

      Thanks,
      Curt

      At 09:16 AM 1/7/2006, you wrote:
      >Au Revoir,
      >Not goodbye,
      >Not Farewell,
      >Until we meet again
      >
      >E.M.D.
      >Rest In Peace
      >1957
    • Cindy Golden
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
        Aloha,

        I checked the book again, and the initials are pretty clearly E.M.D. If they had been printed letters, an H with a few stray or ornate marks might have looked like an M , but it's clearly a cursive capital M. I have no idea who E.M.D. is. I was hoping some of you might know. The handwriting of E.M.D. looks very feminine, but people had better penmanship 50 years ago, so I guess it could have been a man.

        When I ordered the book, the description just said it had a few notations in it. I had no idea it would be as interesting as it turned out to be.

        Are his ashes in Hawaii indeed?

        Curt, are you related to Don?

        Cindy

        ------<--<---({@

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
          Cindy ...

          Welcome aboard! That's a very nice find, indeed.

          DB's ashes were scattered in the waters off Honolulu on July 15, 1957.
          The ceremony included Hawaiian canoes, chants and, of course, leis.

          I'm not sure if I've transcribed the relevant articles from the Star-
          Bulletin and other newspapers, but take a peek at our Files and see
          what's there.

          ~~Cadia
        • Jackie Collins
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
            What a treasure Cindy has found!
            I love the practice of inscribing books with tributes and
            missives.

            If I had to guess, I would say E.M.D. sounds to be a male friend of DB.

            Aloha...........Jackie

            email: JackieCollins@...
            (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
          • mauibandb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
              Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to speed with
              you. I will happily pay for it.

              aloha
              Tom

            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
                How is the book going? I am ready to purchase a bunch of them as well.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                  Aloha all,

                  Just got back from San Francisco and trying to catch up on all these
                  messages. No activity for months and I'm gone a week and all hell
                  breaks loose.

                  Tom, you asked about a tape of my lecture. I'll look into that. I'd
                  have to ask the Friends of the Kingfisher Library and see what they
                  think. I'm planning on setting up a Poerpoint type of
                  presentation...so at the very least I can send you a copy of that.

                  I found tons of Blanding books in S.F. - most of them ordinary
                  copies though. I did find a nice grass-bound copy of Leaves From A
                  Grass House just a block away from my hotel. Also one of Don's color
                  greeting cards.

                  I also discovered that Dashiell Hammett lived in an apartment
                  building just two blocks from where I was staying. I ate at John's
                  Grill that Dashiell frequented in the twenties, which he made famous
                  in The Maltese Falcon.

                  Keith

                  > Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to
                  speed with
                  > you. I will happily pay for it.
                  >
                  > aloha
                  > Tom

                • Jackie Collins
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                    Hi everyone

                    I recently received a package of items I ordered
                    through Keith's web site. What a treat. I'm really
                    enjoying "The Lost Works of Don Blanding"......
                    .......keep them coming, Keith.

                    I also bought an old copy of "In an Old Hawaiian Garden" by DB from
                    Keith recently. (I lost my only copy years ago). I have a framed
                    excerpt of this book on the wall in my study. (DB would have loved
                    my garden).

                    Another book which is an absolute must is one
                    recently published by a colleague of mine
                    "Hawai'i, A Sense of Place" by Mary Philpotts McGrath.
                    It traces the history (and illustrates) Hawaii's home interiors
                    and describes how they are reflections of our lifestyles here in
                    the Islands. Starting with the early 1800's and the 'grass' houses
                    and coming full circle to describe our lovely "island style" art
                    and decor today, with beautiful pictures of our Island furnishings
                    made or fashioned of the natural materials we have come to cherish.
                    You can imagine DB in any of these settings which have been
                    photographed beautifully.
                    Of special value, you will find DB's poems smattered on full pages
                    all through this beautiful book, all excerpts from "Vagabond's House".

                    Aloha..............Jackie
                    email: JackieCollins@...
                  • mauibandb@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                      Jackie

                      I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                      inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula Moons
                      Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                      Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                      books at the library and read them.

                      aloha
                      Maui Tom

                    • Jackie Collins
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                        Hey Maui Tom....
                        Yes, the Hula Moons at Wailea brought DB
                        to the surface again! Are you an artist? You mention
                        your making of menus.

                        I was a 'Maui girl" at that time. Lived there for
                        twenty-two years while raising my family.
                        We lived first in upcountry Kula, then Napili, then ocean-side
                        Haiku (amidst the pineapple fields).

                        Aloha.......Jackie
                        (By the way, To albertorchidal --
                        FYI - I have lived all over the world
                        but never in an Ivory Tower as you would infer!)

                        **********************************
                        Jackie

                        I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                        inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula
                        Moons
                        Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                        Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                        books at the library and read them.

                        aloha
                        Maui Tom

                        Yahoo! Groups Links