Re: Don Blanding Fan

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
      Aloha Cindy!

      What a lovely message. You DO sound like his soulmate. I also feel a
      strong kinship with Don, based on a life of traveling and moving
      around (Air Force Brat)...I've been to over twenty countries, and I'm
      an artist too (illustration & cartooning). I lived in Hawaii as a
      child and loved it!!! In April I do my very first lecture and will be
      thinking of Don the whole time.

      By any chance, do you know who E.M.D. is? What a treasure you have!

      Keith
    • Curt Blanding
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
        Hi Cindy,

        Thanks for your wonderful share.

        Is there any chance that the initials might be
        E.H.D instead of E.M.D.?

        That could be Edward H. Dodd, President of Dodd Mead & Company who
        published Hawaii Says Aloha and most of Don's books.

        Thanks,
        Curt

        At 09:16 AM 1/7/2006, you wrote:
        >Au Revoir,
        >Not goodbye,
        >Not Farewell,
        >Until we meet again
        >
        >E.M.D.
        >Rest In Peace
        >1957
      • Cindy Golden
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
          Aloha,

          I checked the book again, and the initials are pretty clearly E.M.D. If they had been printed letters, an H with a few stray or ornate marks might have looked like an M , but it's clearly a cursive capital M. I have no idea who E.M.D. is. I was hoping some of you might know. The handwriting of E.M.D. looks very feminine, but people had better penmanship 50 years ago, so I guess it could have been a man.

          When I ordered the book, the description just said it had a few notations in it. I had no idea it would be as interesting as it turned out to be.

          Are his ashes in Hawaii indeed?

          Curt, are you related to Don?

          Cindy

          ------<--<---({@

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
            Cindy ...

            Welcome aboard! That's a very nice find, indeed.

            DB's ashes were scattered in the waters off Honolulu on July 15, 1957.
            The ceremony included Hawaiian canoes, chants and, of course, leis.

            I'm not sure if I've transcribed the relevant articles from the Star-
            Bulletin and other newspapers, but take a peek at our Files and see
            what's there.

            ~~Cadia
          • Jackie Collins
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
              What a treasure Cindy has found!
              I love the practice of inscribing books with tributes and
              missives.

              If I had to guess, I would say E.M.D. sounds to be a male friend of DB.

              Aloha...........Jackie

              email: JackieCollins@...
              (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
            • mauibandb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
                Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to speed with
                you. I will happily pay for it.

                aloha
                Tom

              • mauibandb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
                  How is the book going? I am ready to purchase a bunch of them as well.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                    Aloha all,

                    Just got back from San Francisco and trying to catch up on all these
                    messages. No activity for months and I'm gone a week and all hell
                    breaks loose.

                    Tom, you asked about a tape of my lecture. I'll look into that. I'd
                    have to ask the Friends of the Kingfisher Library and see what they
                    think. I'm planning on setting up a Poerpoint type of
                    presentation...so at the very least I can send you a copy of that.

                    I found tons of Blanding books in S.F. - most of them ordinary
                    copies though. I did find a nice grass-bound copy of Leaves From A
                    Grass House just a block away from my hotel. Also one of Don's color
                    greeting cards.

                    I also discovered that Dashiell Hammett lived in an apartment
                    building just two blocks from where I was staying. I ate at John's
                    Grill that Dashiell frequented in the twenties, which he made famous
                    in The Maltese Falcon.

                    Keith

                    > Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to
                    speed with
                    > you. I will happily pay for it.
                    >
                    > aloha
                    > Tom

                  • Jackie Collins
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                      Hi everyone

                      I recently received a package of items I ordered
                      through Keith's web site. What a treat. I'm really
                      enjoying "The Lost Works of Don Blanding"......
                      .......keep them coming, Keith.

                      I also bought an old copy of "In an Old Hawaiian Garden" by DB from
                      Keith recently. (I lost my only copy years ago). I have a framed
                      excerpt of this book on the wall in my study. (DB would have loved
                      my garden).

                      Another book which is an absolute must is one
                      recently published by a colleague of mine
                      "Hawai'i, A Sense of Place" by Mary Philpotts McGrath.
                      It traces the history (and illustrates) Hawaii's home interiors
                      and describes how they are reflections of our lifestyles here in
                      the Islands. Starting with the early 1800's and the 'grass' houses
                      and coming full circle to describe our lovely "island style" art
                      and decor today, with beautiful pictures of our Island furnishings
                      made or fashioned of the natural materials we have come to cherish.
                      You can imagine DB in any of these settings which have been
                      photographed beautifully.
                      Of special value, you will find DB's poems smattered on full pages
                      all through this beautiful book, all excerpts from "Vagabond's House".

                      Aloha..............Jackie
                      email: JackieCollins@...
                    • mauibandb@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                        Jackie

                        I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                        inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula Moons
                        Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                        Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                        books at the library and read them.

                        aloha
                        Maui Tom

                      • Jackie Collins
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                          Hey Maui Tom....
                          Yes, the Hula Moons at Wailea brought DB
                          to the surface again! Are you an artist? You mention
                          your making of menus.

                          I was a 'Maui girl" at that time. Lived there for
                          twenty-two years while raising my family.
                          We lived first in upcountry Kula, then Napili, then ocean-side
                          Haiku (amidst the pineapple fields).

                          Aloha.......Jackie
                          (By the way, To albertorchidal --
                          FYI - I have lived all over the world
                          but never in an Ivory Tower as you would infer!)

                          **********************************
                          Jackie

                          I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                          inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula
                          Moons
                          Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                          Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                          books at the library and read them.

                          aloha
                          Maui Tom

                          Yahoo! Groups Links