RE: [aloha-donblanding] Don Blanding Fan

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
      Mahalo for sharing Cindy!

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
        Aloha Cindy!

        What a lovely message. You DO sound like his soulmate. I also feel a
        strong kinship with Don, based on a life of traveling and moving
        around (Air Force Brat)...I've been to over twenty countries, and I'm
        an artist too (illustration & cartooning). I lived in Hawaii as a
        child and loved it!!! In April I do my very first lecture and will be
        thinking of Don the whole time.

        By any chance, do you know who E.M.D. is? What a treasure you have!

        Keith
      • Curt Blanding
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
          Hi Cindy,

          Thanks for your wonderful share.

          Is there any chance that the initials might be
          E.H.D instead of E.M.D.?

          That could be Edward H. Dodd, President of Dodd Mead & Company who
          published Hawaii Says Aloha and most of Don's books.

          Thanks,
          Curt

          At 09:16 AM 1/7/2006, you wrote:
          >Au Revoir,
          >Not goodbye,
          >Not Farewell,
          >Until we meet again
          >
          >E.M.D.
          >Rest In Peace
          >1957
        • Cindy Golden
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
            Aloha,

            I checked the book again, and the initials are pretty clearly E.M.D. If they had been printed letters, an H with a few stray or ornate marks might have looked like an M , but it's clearly a cursive capital M. I have no idea who E.M.D. is. I was hoping some of you might know. The handwriting of E.M.D. looks very feminine, but people had better penmanship 50 years ago, so I guess it could have been a man.

            When I ordered the book, the description just said it had a few notations in it. I had no idea it would be as interesting as it turned out to be.

            Are his ashes in Hawaii indeed?

            Curt, are you related to Don?

            Cindy

            ------<--<---({@

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
              Cindy ...

              Welcome aboard! That's a very nice find, indeed.

              DB's ashes were scattered in the waters off Honolulu on July 15, 1957.
              The ceremony included Hawaiian canoes, chants and, of course, leis.

              I'm not sure if I've transcribed the relevant articles from the Star-
              Bulletin and other newspapers, but take a peek at our Files and see
              what's there.

              ~~Cadia
            • Jackie Collins
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
                What a treasure Cindy has found!
                I love the practice of inscribing books with tributes and
                missives.

                If I had to guess, I would say E.M.D. sounds to be a male friend of DB.

                Aloha...........Jackie

                email: JackieCollins@...
                (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
              • mauibandb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
                  Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to speed with
                  you. I will happily pay for it.

                  aloha
                  Tom

                • mauibandb@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
                    How is the book going? I am ready to purchase a bunch of them as well.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                      Aloha all,

                      Just got back from San Francisco and trying to catch up on all these
                      messages. No activity for months and I'm gone a week and all hell
                      breaks loose.

                      Tom, you asked about a tape of my lecture. I'll look into that. I'd
                      have to ask the Friends of the Kingfisher Library and see what they
                      think. I'm planning on setting up a Poerpoint type of
                      presentation...so at the very least I can send you a copy of that.

                      I found tons of Blanding books in S.F. - most of them ordinary
                      copies though. I did find a nice grass-bound copy of Leaves From A
                      Grass House just a block away from my hotel. Also one of Don's color
                      greeting cards.

                      I also discovered that Dashiell Hammett lived in an apartment
                      building just two blocks from where I was staying. I ate at John's
                      Grill that Dashiell frequented in the twenties, which he made famous
                      in The Maltese Falcon.

                      Keith

                      > Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to
                      speed with
                      > you. I will happily pay for it.
                      >
                      > aloha
                      > Tom

                    • Jackie Collins
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                        Hi everyone

                        I recently received a package of items I ordered
                        through Keith's web site. What a treat. I'm really
                        enjoying "The Lost Works of Don Blanding"......
                        .......keep them coming, Keith.

                        I also bought an old copy of "In an Old Hawaiian Garden" by DB from
                        Keith recently. (I lost my only copy years ago). I have a framed
                        excerpt of this book on the wall in my study. (DB would have loved
                        my garden).

                        Another book which is an absolute must is one
                        recently published by a colleague of mine
                        "Hawai'i, A Sense of Place" by Mary Philpotts McGrath.
                        It traces the history (and illustrates) Hawaii's home interiors
                        and describes how they are reflections of our lifestyles here in
                        the Islands. Starting with the early 1800's and the 'grass' houses
                        and coming full circle to describe our lovely "island style" art
                        and decor today, with beautiful pictures of our Island furnishings
                        made or fashioned of the natural materials we have come to cherish.
                        You can imagine DB in any of these settings which have been
                        photographed beautifully.
                        Of special value, you will find DB's poems smattered on full pages
                        all through this beautiful book, all excerpts from "Vagabond's House".

                        Aloha..............Jackie
                        email: JackieCollins@...
                      • mauibandb@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                          Jackie

                          I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                          inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula Moons
                          Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                          Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                          books at the library and read them.

                          aloha
                          Maui Tom

                        • Jackie Collins
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                            Hey Maui Tom....
                            Yes, the Hula Moons at Wailea brought DB
                            to the surface again! Are you an artist? You mention
                            your making of menus.

                            I was a 'Maui girl" at that time. Lived there for
                            twenty-two years while raising my family.
                            We lived first in upcountry Kula, then Napili, then ocean-side
                            Haiku (amidst the pineapple fields).

                            Aloha.......Jackie
                            (By the way, To albertorchidal --
                            FYI - I have lived all over the world
                            but never in an Ivory Tower as you would infer!)

                            **********************************
                            Jackie

                            I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                            inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula
                            Moons
                            Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                            Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                            books at the library and read them.

                            aloha
                            Maui Tom

                            Yahoo! Groups Links