Don Blanding Fan

  • cgoldfl
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
      Aloha!

      I'm farily new to the group and have been monitoring posts, but I
      just had to throw in my two cents' worth.

      I can't afford the typewritten, signed poems that are on eBay right
      now, so I won't be your competition, but I wish I could! That is
      quite a find! I'd love to have a copy of the poems, too.

      I'm pretty fascinated with DB. My main source of info on him is
      Keith's Web site. I suppose that, had I lived during the same time,
      I would have had to hunt him down and propose marriage. I'm really
      struck with the similarities in our lives. I've traveled
      extensively and get bored with the thought of settling down. I'm an
      artist, a pianist, a composer, a writer, and a lover of all things
      Hawaiian. I used to live in Hawaii and visit frequently. Now that
      I have gotten married, I don't get to travel as much, and I live in
      north Florida, not Hawaii. I find that Don's poems express my
      wanderlust and love for Hawaii perfectly. I read his writings and
      say to myself, "Yes! That's gorgeous! That's exactly how I feel!"
      I just think he's so cool. It's like I found a soulmate from the
      past.

      I recently got a copy of "Hawaii Says Aloha" from eBay. It has a
      lot of notes written throughout the book by both the owner, who was
      obviously a personal friend, and by DB. You can see the difference
      in the handwriting. He signed a photo that's pasted in the back,
      and the owner wrote a tribute to him, as s/he received the book in
      1957, and that's when he died. It's not pristine condition by any
      means, but I really liked reading his handwritten comments
      throughout the book. The owner's handwriting is very ornate and
      feminine looking, so I presume it was a lady. Here's what the owner
      wrote:

      A tribute to the Memory of Don Blanding

      If all the fine things you have done, if all the frinds that you
      have won, should magically be changed to deeds, the world would live
      with better creeds. If all the tears you have brushed aay, if all
      the smiles you've brought to stay, should magically together blend,
      They'd make a rainbow without end.

      Au Revoir,
      Not goodbye,
      Not Farewell,
      Until we meet again

      E.M.D.
      Rest In Peace
      1957

      Here's a sample of the notations. On the poem "My Hawaii" he
      underlined "I enjoy any place while I'm in it. That is one of the
      secrets of laughter." and beside it wrote "Alohaha."

      On a page with a blue drawing opposite ie, the owner wrote "Don
      Blanding's favorite color: Blue"

      In the margin of the poem "Things Forgotten" the owner wrote, "Don
      Blanding's ashes are here in his beloved Hawaii." By the way, is
      that so?

      Just thought I'd share that with you guys. My mom is in Hawaii for
      two weeks (without me!) right now and it's really making me
      homesick! I live near Tallahassee, and I grow plumerias. I have to
      keep them in a greenhouse and heat them all winter, but it has
      worked beautifully for six years now. I have enough flowers in the
      summer to make leis, which a lot of people around have never seen,
      so I've come to be known as the plumeria lady around here. Few
      people know I just grow them because one sniff brings back so many
      wonderful memories and images of MY Hawaii. :)

      Happy New Year.

      Cindy in Florida
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
        Mahalo for sharing Cindy!

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
          Aloha Cindy!

          What a lovely message. You DO sound like his soulmate. I also feel a
          strong kinship with Don, based on a life of traveling and moving
          around (Air Force Brat)...I've been to over twenty countries, and I'm
          an artist too (illustration & cartooning). I lived in Hawaii as a
          child and loved it!!! In April I do my very first lecture and will be
          thinking of Don the whole time.

          By any chance, do you know who E.M.D. is? What a treasure you have!

          Keith
        • Curt Blanding
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
            Hi Cindy,

            Thanks for your wonderful share.

            Is there any chance that the initials might be
            E.H.D instead of E.M.D.?

            That could be Edward H. Dodd, President of Dodd Mead & Company who
            published Hawaii Says Aloha and most of Don's books.

            Thanks,
            Curt

            At 09:16 AM 1/7/2006, you wrote:
            >Au Revoir,
            >Not goodbye,
            >Not Farewell,
            >Until we meet again
            >
            >E.M.D.
            >Rest In Peace
            >1957
          • Cindy Golden
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
              Aloha,

              I checked the book again, and the initials are pretty clearly E.M.D. If they had been printed letters, an H with a few stray or ornate marks might have looked like an M , but it's clearly a cursive capital M. I have no idea who E.M.D. is. I was hoping some of you might know. The handwriting of E.M.D. looks very feminine, but people had better penmanship 50 years ago, so I guess it could have been a man.

              When I ordered the book, the description just said it had a few notations in it. I had no idea it would be as interesting as it turned out to be.

              Are his ashes in Hawaii indeed?

              Curt, are you related to Don?

              Cindy

              ------<--<---({@

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
                Cindy ...

                Welcome aboard! That's a very nice find, indeed.

                DB's ashes were scattered in the waters off Honolulu on July 15, 1957.
                The ceremony included Hawaiian canoes, chants and, of course, leis.

                I'm not sure if I've transcribed the relevant articles from the Star-
                Bulletin and other newspapers, but take a peek at our Files and see
                what's there.

                ~~Cadia
              • Jackie Collins
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 7, 2006
                  What a treasure Cindy has found!
                  I love the practice of inscribing books with tributes and
                  missives.

                  If I had to guess, I would say E.M.D. sounds to be a male friend of DB.

                  Aloha...........Jackie

                  email: JackieCollins@...
                  (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
                • mauibandb@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
                    Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to speed with
                    you. I will happily pay for it.

                    aloha
                    Tom

                  • mauibandb@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 8, 2006
                      How is the book going? I am ready to purchase a bunch of them as well.

                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                        Aloha all,

                        Just got back from San Francisco and trying to catch up on all these
                        messages. No activity for months and I'm gone a week and all hell
                        breaks loose.

                        Tom, you asked about a tape of my lecture. I'll look into that. I'd
                        have to ask the Friends of the Kingfisher Library and see what they
                        think. I'm planning on setting up a Poerpoint type of
                        presentation...so at the very least I can send you a copy of that.

                        I found tons of Blanding books in S.F. - most of them ordinary
                        copies though. I did find a nice grass-bound copy of Leaves From A
                        Grass House just a block away from my hotel. Also one of Don's color
                        greeting cards.

                        I also discovered that Dashiell Hammett lived in an apartment
                        building just two blocks from where I was staying. I ate at John's
                        Grill that Dashiell frequented in the twenties, which he made famous
                        in The Maltese Falcon.

                        Keith

                        > Can you put your lecture on DVD, or VHS so we all can get up to
                        speed with
                        > you. I will happily pay for it.
                        >
                        > aloha
                        > Tom

                      • Jackie Collins
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 15, 2006
                          Hi everyone

                          I recently received a package of items I ordered
                          through Keith's web site. What a treat. I'm really
                          enjoying "The Lost Works of Don Blanding"......
                          .......keep them coming, Keith.

                          I also bought an old copy of "In an Old Hawaiian Garden" by DB from
                          Keith recently. (I lost my only copy years ago). I have a framed
                          excerpt of this book on the wall in my study. (DB would have loved
                          my garden).

                          Another book which is an absolute must is one
                          recently published by a colleague of mine
                          "Hawai'i, A Sense of Place" by Mary Philpotts McGrath.
                          It traces the history (and illustrates) Hawaii's home interiors
                          and describes how they are reflections of our lifestyles here in
                          the Islands. Starting with the early 1800's and the 'grass' houses
                          and coming full circle to describe our lovely "island style" art
                          and decor today, with beautiful pictures of our Island furnishings
                          made or fashioned of the natural materials we have come to cherish.
                          You can imagine DB in any of these settings which have been
                          photographed beautifully.
                          Of special value, you will find DB's poems smattered on full pages
                          all through this beautiful book, all excerpts from "Vagabond's House".

                          Aloha..............Jackie
                          email: JackieCollins@...
                        • mauibandb@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                            Jackie

                            I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                            inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula Moons
                            Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                            Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                            books at the library and read them.

                            aloha
                            Maui Tom

                          • Jackie Collins
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 16, 2006
                              Hey Maui Tom....
                              Yes, the Hula Moons at Wailea brought DB
                              to the surface again! Are you an artist? You mention
                              your making of menus.

                              I was a 'Maui girl" at that time. Lived there for
                              twenty-two years while raising my family.
                              We lived first in upcountry Kula, then Napili, then ocean-side
                              Haiku (amidst the pineapple fields).

                              Aloha.......Jackie
                              (By the way, To albertorchidal --
                              FYI - I have lived all over the world
                              but never in an Ivory Tower as you would infer!)

                              **********************************
                              Jackie

                              I guess you figured out Mary Philpots was a fan of DB. She was the
                              inspiration behind the concept and interior design of the original Hula
                              Moons
                              Restaurant at the Old Inter-Continental Wailea in 1990.
                              Thats when I became a fan. In preparing the menus etc, I picked up all his
                              books at the library and read them.

                              aloha
                              Maui Tom

                              Yahoo! Groups Links