Ebay Blanding auction site offerings

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2006
      There are 3 items up for Ebay auction that interest me but I was hoping for
      some feedback before I might plunge into it.

      Items #1&2 are shown as promo flyers for Blandings Flowers of the Rainbow
      book with two typed poems reportedly original ones. I haven't seen the promo
      flyers before and the poems are interesting if original. So, has anyone come
      across something like this before in their browsing?

      Item #3 is a single negative of Blanding (I'm sure it is him). The info says this
      negative was taken from a photographic Yarborough collection. It appears to
      me to be Blanding posing possibly as "Pan" or a figure from the play "Pan".
      This one I'm very interested in. So, again, any thoughts or info on these that
      might help me decided what to bid on is appreciated.

      I've shifted my collection priorties to paper/photo's instead of ceramics right
      now. I'm amassing quite a collection that I hope will represent a small portion
      of all his works. My goal is to find one of a kind items to add to my collection.
      In the future as museum possibilities loom, I will be able to offer a more
      complete collection of all of his works in the form of samples of each. I have
      no linen or shirt design products yet but am open to buying if anyone knows
      where they might be. Mahalo for any info.....tj
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2006
        Tom,

        We both have our eyes on the same prize. I'm leaving on Sunday for a week in San Francisco,
        but have programmed my auction bidder to place absentee bids on all three items. If I'm
        lucky enough to win any or all of the items I will gladly share copies with you.

        As for the photo negative...I contacted the seller and asked her if there were any more of
        Blanding. She had 11 Blanding negatives, which were all slightly damaged in some way. I paid
        her $100 for all of them and she sent them in the mail yesterday. She said the 11 negs were
        from a later sitting. My brother is a professional photographer and has provided me with the
        name of a company which restores damaged negatives...so we'll see what comes of it.

        I'll be attending the MacWorld Conference in S.F., and will be hitting the library and local
        bookstores in my spare time.

        Keith
      • Michael Pfeffer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2006
          Hello all,
          Don't forget that I have pretty much all the DB pottery one could ever need and when the time comes will donate most to a museum so we are pretty well set on saving a representative sample of his stuff.

          Aloha, MTP

          I am more focused on the Flowers of the Rainbow
          Promo's. I'll let the negative go to you but I'll
          keep an eye on it. As you know I prefer to have the
          originals of things not copies and so the Flowers
          poems and promo is more my style. I'll bidding on
          those for sure and see how high the actually go. I
          have some limits also but would like to have at least
          one of them. You tend to buy and then sell later when
          you need cash which is understandable but I'll be
          keeping them for posterity and my eventual legacy to a
          museum of choice. We can share copies later or
          horsetrade. if we get them. tj

          --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
[...]

          aloha-donblanding@...

          Terms of Service.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2006
              Tom,

              Actually, I don't turn around and sell one-of-a-kind items...I hold
              onto them. The only things I sell are things I can replace at a
              later time, like books, magazines, promotional items, common photos
              and mass-produced letters. By selling some of my Blanding stuff, I
              have the cash to purchase more important items like those being
              auctioned this week. Vanessa doesn't allow me to use our household
              funds for my Blanding larks and research, hence the ebay side
              business.

              The photo negative is something that is one-of-a-kind and
              irreplaceable, so I'm bidding on that. Unfortunately, there is
              someone else that has already entered the bidding war...someone with
              the ebay handle 'tisador.' I would really like the Flowers of the
              Rainbow flyers/typewritten poems, but will refrain from bidding if
              you promise to win it (put a really high ceiling on your bid) and of
              course make copies for me. I would hate them to go to someone else
              who isn't willing to share. I was prepared to bid $125 each for them.