Huge cache of books owned by Edythe Hope Genee

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 20, 2005
      Cadia, TJ, all...

      I've come across a bookseller in California who bought up a huge lot (300 books) which
      came from the library of Edythe Hope Genee. They are mostly vanity (self published)
      poetry books from her friends in the Los Angeles area. Most are inscribed to Edythe, some
      to Don Blanding...and some have Don's bookplates and/or mailing labels in them.

      There are a few books from the Hollywood Evening School that Don illustrated. The most
      valuable book is the complete works of Robert Service, inscribed by Service to Edythe...the
      bookseller is selling that one for $950 (because he signed so few of his books) but most of
      the books are in the $8 to $30 range.

      I bought a few of the cheaper ones, but don't have the budget for much more. If anyone
      wants to contact the bookseller, it is Broadway Books, 4521 Ingot Lane, Garden City, CA
      95633, 530-333-4986, brdwybooks@...

      The best thing would be for TJ (or someone else in that area) to visit the bookstore and
      look through everything. He obtained them from an antique store in Roseville, California
      and will ask them about it again when he has a chance. I'm mainly interested to know if
      there were any personal belongings with the books (letters, diaries, etc...)

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 20, 2005
        I am in the 530 area code but don't know where Garden
        City is. I'll phone him and see how close he is to
        me. I'm only 1 hour away from Roseville Ca. though.
        Interesting find. Never know what is out there....tj

        --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        aloha-donblanding@...

        Poetry
        writing Poetry book
        publisher Poetry
        book
        Blanding ut
        Poetry book publishing
        Poetry writing contest

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 20, 2005
          I'm sorry Tom...it's actually Garden Valley...I think it's about six miles north of Placerville.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 20, 2005
            Also, Tom...he said if you wanted to swing by and look at the books, that you should call
            first.
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 20, 2005
              I phoned them already. They are about 1.5 hours from
              me but I won't be able to go there until after New
              Years. I have good friends up in that area. They
              haven't put everything on ABE yet. I asked them to be
              aware of any loose letters/photos, etc. I'm sure you
              did the same. I used to go through Garden Valley on
              my way to Georgetown which is an area I backpacked and
              fished in years ago. I can still backpack but someone
              else has to carry me...ha.....tj

              --- keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
              I'm sorry Tom...it's actually Garden Valley...I think
              it's about six miles north of Placerville.

              aloha-donblanding@...

              Poetry
              writing Poetry book
              publisher Poetry
              book
              Blanding ut
              Poetry book publishing
              Poetry writing contest

              Terms of Service.

              ---------------------------------
            • Heidi Wright
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 20, 2005
                All,

                I have been reading all the emails for forever but I have never posted. My mom used to read DB to me as a little girl and she has collected a few of his books. I fell in love with him also. In high school I committed several of his works to memory, including the very long Vagabond House. When I grew up I started adding to my collection. I always go into used book stores and look. I found one here in Olympia, Washington that will even go out and find them for me. I have a little collection now. The thing that I didn't realize would be of any interest to anyone but me is that in a couple of the books were notes and pictures, which look to me like Don signed himself. It never occurred to me anyone but me would be interested. I guess you all might. Now that I have posted this I have to go through all my books and find them I suppose. Be a good time to record which books I have also. I will update you after the holiday when I get a chance to go through them.

                And thank you the interesting board, I may not say much but I sure do enjoy reading all of your adventures.

                Heidi

                From: HeidiWrigh@...

                ~~~~_/) ~~~~~~

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 31, 2005
                  Broadway Books, 4521 Ingot Lane, Garden City, CA
                  95633, 530-333-4986, brdwybooks@...

                  Keith ,

                  Did you find out where the antique store in Roseville is and how to
                  reach them? They may know where all this stuff came from and who to talk to
                  about it. You have probable already talked to them. I have friends who
                  live there and could ask them to check the place out.

                  Christmas on Maui with out family was great, but too short.

                  Hal & I wish you all the best for the New Year.

                  Blanding ut Poetry book publishing Poetry writing contest

                  Service.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 31, 2005
                    In a message dated 12/31/2005 11:54:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    bevbach@... writes:

                    brdwybooks@...

                    Welcome, Back Bev---I know it hurts to leave Maui.....could no bring up
                    nooks web site.
                    Happy New Year, Dean

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
                      Hi Bev, welcome back...and happy new year everyone!

                      The antique store in Roseville closed its doors a few years back. The
                      bookseller told me he was planning on speaking with the daughter of
                      the former storeowner this month (January)...so we'll see if anything
                      comes of that.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 1, 2006
                        Happy New Year everyone!

                        Keith,

                        My friends from Roseville are at their condos on Maui right now, but if
                        you get a name of the people who owned the antique store, I can ask them to
                        look them up when they return home. Let me know if you want me to have them
                        follow up on this.