Re: Blanding book on ebay - Lost Works - NEW!

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
      Keith ....

      I am so thrilled that your book is a reality at last! There's much
      more research to be done for the definitive biography, but this is a
      great start and may well prompt further contributions from people who
      are not yet aware of this group or our websites.

      When I get a chance this week, I'm going to contact the Seattle
      library and ask how many copies they would like to purchase, for both
      reference and circulation. I may also stop in at my favorite
      independent bookstore to see if they're interested.

      If each of us did that ....

      Several members of the Seattle-area postcard club asked me just
      yesterday "when is the Blanding book coming out?" (That was before
      I'd checked my e-mail for the weekend.)

      At our meeting, I displayed an album of Blanding ephemera (as I had
      in September). One club member who had not seen it before was the
      lady who met Blanding in Carmel in July 1944, when she was on her
      honeymoon. She so enjoyed the photos -- thanks especially to Bev who
      provided copies of TJ's photos of the Carmel vagabond's house. She
      could not recall if this was the house she visited in 1944; I think
      likely it is the one he owned in the 1930s.

      Recently I acquired a postcard typed by DB but not addressed. It
      refers to an actor seen "on the boulevard" and to being "up here."
      The card is dated April 1944; DB is obviously referring to Hollywood
      Boulevard and to his being in Carmel at the time he wrote the
      message. TJ, you might want to dig into the April-August 1944 Pine
      Cone to see what you can find. I know my friend would love any
      tidbits you can unearth.

      Running low on computer time tonight ... more soon!

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
        Cadia - I'm glad you approve.

        Keep in mind, this is just an appetizer before the main course. The
        biography is actually coming along well. I've made huge strides with
        certain areas of Don's life.

        With this book (which plugs this website, by the way) we can bring
        in new folks who aren't necessarily poetry lovers. Almost all the
        material in the book is Hawaiian-themed, so that 'grabs' the
        Hawaiiana market too.

        I'm going to start compiling stories and articles for volume two.
        There are articles Don wrote for Town & Country and Decorative Arts
        Magazine that I'm trying to track down. I also have three short
        stories that he co-wrote with Nell Martin still to find.

        The exciting news is that today I was invited to lecture to the
        Friends of the Kingfisher Library in April during Book Week. They
        are offering to pay all my expenses and have a book signing. I'm
        feeling a spooky kinship with Blanding. I can get some research done
        while I'm there.

        Keith
      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
          Exciting that finally someone is going to complete on the book about Don we
          have been waiting for 15 years.

          aloha
          Maui Tom

        • Linda Cast
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
            Hi all,

            This thread came to me because of a long-ago search for Blanding, and it would be fun to share my story with you....

            In 1964 I was in the Navy when I found a ragged, well-loved, scribbled copy of Leaves from a Grass House in the tiny Oak Knoll Naval Hospital library. It became my treasure - I read it over & over, and carried it around for years. Then when I was gone for a while, someone donated my things to charity. That was in North Carolina, and it never was found. What a loss!

            However, the Blanding pleasures persisted, and an odd coincidence happened in about 1995 or so. While on a visit to California I went to a yard sale, and found (no, not MY book), but a book on fish that Don Blanding had signed and donated to a fish club! Hurriedly paying the 50 cents, I then felt honor bound to tell the sellers what it was, and ask if they wanted it back. Get this! The seller's mother, very ill, was the woman whom Don had considered nearly a sister. She had pictures, books, and much other personal memorabilia from all the years of their friendship. Her daughter showed me some art that she herself owned, and we both looked forward to her mother's recovery. However, her mother died shortly thereafter. I don't recall her name or the city.

            It's a delight to find you guys out there.

            Linda Cast

            keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote: Cadia - I'm glad you approve.

[...]

            Poetry writing Poetry book publisher Poetry book Blanding ut Poetry book publishing Poetry writing contest

            ---------------------------------

            Yahoo! Personals

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 15, 2005
              Hey everyone,

              Time is running out to order your copy of the new Blanding book and get it in time for
              Christmas. Also, there is a limited supply, so order now!

              http://www.don-blanding.com/forsale.htm

              If you have already bought and received your copy, I would really appreciate any feedback:
              constructive criticism or otherwise.

              Happy Holidays,