Blanding book on ebay - Lost Works - NEW!

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2005
      Although Cadia deserves credit too. Between the two of us, we've spent
      hundreds of hours on microfilm machines over the last five years
      digging up these columns and stories.

      The purchase link is up and running on my website:
      http://www.don-blanding.com/forsale.htm

      Mahalo to you and Cadia, Keith,

      We will all look forward to reading what you two have found.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
        Keith ....

        I am so thrilled that your book is a reality at last! There's much
        more research to be done for the definitive biography, but this is a
        great start and may well prompt further contributions from people who
        are not yet aware of this group or our websites.

        When I get a chance this week, I'm going to contact the Seattle
        library and ask how many copies they would like to purchase, for both
        reference and circulation. I may also stop in at my favorite
        independent bookstore to see if they're interested.

        If each of us did that ....

        Several members of the Seattle-area postcard club asked me just
        yesterday "when is the Blanding book coming out?" (That was before
        I'd checked my e-mail for the weekend.)

        At our meeting, I displayed an album of Blanding ephemera (as I had
        in September). One club member who had not seen it before was the
        lady who met Blanding in Carmel in July 1944, when she was on her
        honeymoon. She so enjoyed the photos -- thanks especially to Bev who
        provided copies of TJ's photos of the Carmel vagabond's house. She
        could not recall if this was the house she visited in 1944; I think
        likely it is the one he owned in the 1930s.

        Recently I acquired a postcard typed by DB but not addressed. It
        refers to an actor seen "on the boulevard" and to being "up here."
        The card is dated April 1944; DB is obviously referring to Hollywood
        Boulevard and to his being in Carmel at the time he wrote the
        message. TJ, you might want to dig into the April-August 1944 Pine
        Cone to see what you can find. I know my friend would love any
        tidbits you can unearth.

        Running low on computer time tonight ... more soon!

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
          Cadia - I'm glad you approve.

          Keep in mind, this is just an appetizer before the main course. The
          biography is actually coming along well. I've made huge strides with
          certain areas of Don's life.

          With this book (which plugs this website, by the way) we can bring
          in new folks who aren't necessarily poetry lovers. Almost all the
          material in the book is Hawaiian-themed, so that 'grabs' the
          Hawaiiana market too.

          I'm going to start compiling stories and articles for volume two.
          There are articles Don wrote for Town & Country and Decorative Arts
          Magazine that I'm trying to track down. I also have three short
          stories that he co-wrote with Nell Martin still to find.

          The exciting news is that today I was invited to lecture to the
          Friends of the Kingfisher Library in April during Book Week. They
          are offering to pay all my expenses and have a book signing. I'm
          feeling a spooky kinship with Blanding. I can get some research done
          while I'm there.

          Keith
        • mauibandb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
            Exciting that finally someone is going to complete on the book about Don we
            have been waiting for 15 years.

            aloha
            Maui Tom

          • Linda Cast
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
              Hi all,

              This thread came to me because of a long-ago search for Blanding, and it would be fun to share my story with you....

              In 1964 I was in the Navy when I found a ragged, well-loved, scribbled copy of Leaves from a Grass House in the tiny Oak Knoll Naval Hospital library. It became my treasure - I read it over & over, and carried it around for years. Then when I was gone for a while, someone donated my things to charity. That was in North Carolina, and it never was found. What a loss!

              However, the Blanding pleasures persisted, and an odd coincidence happened in about 1995 or so. While on a visit to California I went to a yard sale, and found (no, not MY book), but a book on fish that Don Blanding had signed and donated to a fish club! Hurriedly paying the 50 cents, I then felt honor bound to tell the sellers what it was, and ask if they wanted it back. Get this! The seller's mother, very ill, was the woman whom Don had considered nearly a sister. She had pictures, books, and much other personal memorabilia from all the years of their friendship. Her daughter showed me some art that she herself owned, and we both looked forward to her mother's recovery. However, her mother died shortly thereafter. I don't recall her name or the city.

              It's a delight to find you guys out there.

              Linda Cast

              keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote: Cadia - I'm glad you approve.

[...]

              Poetry writing Poetry book publisher Poetry book Blanding ut Poetry book publishing Poetry writing contest

              ---------------------------------

              Yahoo! Personals

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 15, 2005
                Hey everyone,

                Time is running out to order your copy of the new Blanding book and get it in time for
                Christmas. Also, there is a limited supply, so order now!

                http://www.don-blanding.com/forsale.htm

                If you have already bought and received your copy, I would really appreciate any feedback:
                constructive criticism or otherwise.

                Happy Holidays,