Blanding book on ebay - Lost Works - NEW!

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
      Happy Holidays all!

      Today I'm releasing a new book I put together and printed called "The
      Lost Works of Don Blanding, volume one."

      It's a collection of stories, articles and columns he wrote over the
      years, and is divided into four decades. I'm selling a handful on
      ebay, and will also list them on my website soon. Here are the links
      for bidding on ebay:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8359971863

      and

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7729501441

      Aloha,
      Keith
    • Michael Pfeffer
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2005
        Keith,
        Congrats. That must have been a TON of work!!! Way to go. I will gladly
        buy a copy or three but will wait for the website so that you don't have to
        pay ebay a chunk.

        Aloha, MTP

        Today I'm releasing a new book I put together and printed called "The Lost
        Works of Don Blanding, volume one."

        It's a collection of stories, articles and columns he wrote over the years,
        and is divided into four decades. I'm selling a handful on ebay, and will
        also list them on my website soon. Here are the links for bidding on ebay:

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8359971863

        and

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7729501441

        Aloha,
        Keith

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life
        without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/7zgKlB/dnQLAA/Zx0JAA/zqIolB/TM
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2005
          Thanks Michael,

          Although Cadia deserves credit too. Between the two of us, we've spent
          hundreds of hours on microfilm machines over the last five years
          digging up these columns and stories.

          The purchase link is up and running on my website:
          http://www.don-blanding.com/forsale.htm

          Please let me know if there are any problems with it.

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2005
            Although Cadia deserves credit too. Between the two of us, we've spent
            hundreds of hours on microfilm machines over the last five years
            digging up these columns and stories.

            The purchase link is up and running on my website:
            http://www.don-blanding.com/forsale.htm

            Mahalo to you and Cadia, Keith,

            We will all look forward to reading what you two have found.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
              Keith ....

              I am so thrilled that your book is a reality at last! There's much
              more research to be done for the definitive biography, but this is a
              great start and may well prompt further contributions from people who
              are not yet aware of this group or our websites.

              When I get a chance this week, I'm going to contact the Seattle
              library and ask how many copies they would like to purchase, for both
              reference and circulation. I may also stop in at my favorite
              independent bookstore to see if they're interested.

              If each of us did that ....

              Several members of the Seattle-area postcard club asked me just
              yesterday "when is the Blanding book coming out?" (That was before
              I'd checked my e-mail for the weekend.)

              At our meeting, I displayed an album of Blanding ephemera (as I had
              in September). One club member who had not seen it before was the
              lady who met Blanding in Carmel in July 1944, when she was on her
              honeymoon. She so enjoyed the photos -- thanks especially to Bev who
              provided copies of TJ's photos of the Carmel vagabond's house. She
              could not recall if this was the house she visited in 1944; I think
              likely it is the one he owned in the 1930s.

              Recently I acquired a postcard typed by DB but not addressed. It
              refers to an actor seen "on the boulevard" and to being "up here."
              The card is dated April 1944; DB is obviously referring to Hollywood
              Boulevard and to his being in Carmel at the time he wrote the
              message. TJ, you might want to dig into the April-August 1944 Pine
              Cone to see what you can find. I know my friend would love any
              tidbits you can unearth.

              Running low on computer time tonight ... more soon!

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2005
                Cadia - I'm glad you approve.

                Keep in mind, this is just an appetizer before the main course. The
                biography is actually coming along well. I've made huge strides with
                certain areas of Don's life.

                With this book (which plugs this website, by the way) we can bring
                in new folks who aren't necessarily poetry lovers. Almost all the
                material in the book is Hawaiian-themed, so that 'grabs' the
                Hawaiiana market too.

                I'm going to start compiling stories and articles for volume two.
                There are articles Don wrote for Town & Country and Decorative Arts
                Magazine that I'm trying to track down. I also have three short
                stories that he co-wrote with Nell Martin still to find.

                The exciting news is that today I was invited to lecture to the
                Friends of the Kingfisher Library in April during Book Week. They
                are offering to pay all my expenses and have a book signing. I'm
                feeling a spooky kinship with Blanding. I can get some research done
                while I'm there.

                Keith
              • mauibandb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
                  Exciting that finally someone is going to complete on the book about Don we
                  have been waiting for 15 years.

                  aloha
                  Maui Tom

                • Linda Cast
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 6, 2005
                    Hi all,

                    This thread came to me because of a long-ago search for Blanding, and it would be fun to share my story with you....

                    In 1964 I was in the Navy when I found a ragged, well-loved, scribbled copy of Leaves from a Grass House in the tiny Oak Knoll Naval Hospital library. It became my treasure - I read it over & over, and carried it around for years. Then when I was gone for a while, someone donated my things to charity. That was in North Carolina, and it never was found. What a loss!

                    However, the Blanding pleasures persisted, and an odd coincidence happened in about 1995 or so. While on a visit to California I went to a yard sale, and found (no, not MY book), but a book on fish that Don Blanding had signed and donated to a fish club! Hurriedly paying the 50 cents, I then felt honor bound to tell the sellers what it was, and ask if they wanted it back. Get this! The seller's mother, very ill, was the woman whom Don had considered nearly a sister. She had pictures, books, and much other personal memorabilia from all the years of their friendship. Her daughter showed me some art that she herself owned, and we both looked forward to her mother's recovery. However, her mother died shortly thereafter. I don't recall her name or the city.

                    It's a delight to find you guys out there.

                    Linda Cast

                    keith2draw <keith2draw@...> wrote: Cadia - I'm glad you approve.

[...]

                    Poetry writing Poetry book publisher Poetry book Blanding ut Poetry book publishing Poetry writing contest

                    ---------------------------------

                    Yahoo! Personals

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 15, 2005
                      Hey everyone,

                      Time is running out to order your copy of the new Blanding book and get it in time for
                      Christmas. Also, there is a limited supply, so order now!

                      http://www.don-blanding.com/forsale.htm

                      If you have already bought and received your copy, I would really appreciate any feedback:
                      constructive criticism or otherwise.

                      Happy Holidays,