Re: [aloha-donblanding] Honolulu Star-Bulletin - 1923

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 14, 2005
      You are incredible Cadia!!!!! Do you need eye glasses
      yet? I know how hard it is to see all that fine
      print. Thanks...tj

      --- Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      I've just begun reading more microfilm from the
      Star-Bulletin, this
      time from 1923.

      In January 1923, DB was working for the Charles Fraser
      agency, not the
      newspaper. So far, I've found an item about the
      steamer Calawaii, put
      into service between Los Angeles and Honolulu in
      mid-February 1923;
      this was the ship on which DB returned to Hawaii in
      1926 from his
      Hollywood sojourn. I also found a photo of the ship.

      Of greater interest is a lengthy article about a 6-man
      "commercial art"
      exhibit in Honolulu -- A.S. MacLeod and John Poole,
      both on the S-B-
      staff; William Gillies and Martin R. Eden of the
      Advertiser; Twigg
      Smith and Don Blanding. Our boy gets very high
      praise for his work,
      and he is in exceedingly good company!

      I'll try to transcribe the entire article within the
      next few weeks.
      Meanwhile, 5 more reels of microfilm to go!

      aloha-donblanding@...

      Poetry
      writing Poetry book
      publisher Poetry