Brown Willow

  • wbstern@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
      The Brown Willow pattern (same image, different color as Blue Willow) by
      Syracuse China was the dinnerware used at the Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood.

      Does any of you know the story this pattern tells? I remember that it's
      something to do with a young couple eloping, but I'm not certain.

      Bill Stern
      Director, Musuem of California Design
      www.mocad.org

      P.S. Don Blanding was, of course, represented in our survey exhibition "
      California Pottery: From Missions to Modernism"
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
        I would expect that Cadia would be the only one who
        might know something about the Brown Willow story.
        And, maybe you could think of a future show on Don
        Blanding at your museum? tj

        --- wbstern@... wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        The Brown Willow pattern (same image, different color
        as Blue Willow) by
        Syracuse China was the dinnerware used at the Brown
        Derby restaurant in Hollywood.

        Does any of you know the story this pattern tells? I
        remember that it's
        something to do with a young couple eloping, but I'm
        not certain.

        Bill Stern
        Director, Musuem of California Design
        www.mocad.org

        P.S. Don Blanding was, of course, represented in our
        survey exhibition "
        California Pottery: From Missions to Modernism"

        aloha-donblanding@...

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------
      • linall9@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
          There's a book published (may be out of print by now), The Story of the
          Willow Plate Pattern, that tells the story. Doesn't show an author except saying
          from "Charles Lamb's Essay" published by Alexander Morning Limited at the De
          La More Press, 1952.

          Short version: The house shown on the right-hand side is a Chinese house of
          unusual extent and magnificence, shown by being 2 stories high, a rare thing
          in China. It belonged to a mandarin of great power and influence. His wife
          had died and he lived there with his only daughter, Koong-se, and his
          secretary, Chang. The two fell in love. The mandarin was against their marriage.
          The 3 figures on the bridge: Koong-se carrying a distaff, the emblem of
          virginity; the second is Chang the lover bearing off a box of jewels; the third is
          the old mandarin.. chasing the couple. Other things take place, describing
          other figures on the plate, but in the end, the couple are transformed into
          the two doves seen at the top of the plate.

          Linda

        • Mark Murray
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005
            I've attached a page from an old magazine from 1985 called "Old Stuff" which
            tells the story of the Willow Plate Pattern. Apologies extended for the size
            of the attachment. In order for you to read it, I scanned it at 50% of its
            original size...

            You should be able to save it to a file on your computer and print it out for
            your records.

            Mark