Home safe

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
      Due to hurricane Katrina, we obviously cancelled our motorhome trip into the
      gulf area. We lost out on New Orleans and we were so saddened by all their
      losses. We thought of taking our motorhome into the area and helping out but
      at the time, they discouraged all such notions as too dangerous. We were
      suppose to go into Oklahoma after New Orleans but after much discussion
      with my wife, we decided it best to just head home. I called Jim Whiteley and
      explained my decision to bypass the Great Plains Museum and he was as
      disappointed as I was. I really wanted to go there but I felt the safety of my
      wife and my motorhome was more important due to the uncertainty of the
      moment. I will make another trip back that way next year and see what we
      missed. We did encounter some dangerous storm elements coming out of
      Memphis heading to Branson Missouri (safety zone) and I didn't want to
      repeat those moments again. We drove 600 miles in two days to get to safety.
      We were in Birmingham, ready to launch into the gulf area when Katrina
      showed up. So, I am safely back home as of today with memories of what we
      did see and disappointments as to what we missed. Now I will catch up on
      some research I started in Bend Oregon as I have some packages mailed to
      me from my new friends from that area. Sorry for the long email Cadia but
      thought I would download my thoughts and disappointments about missing
      the Great Plains DB collection. I hope Jim understands the decision we had
      to make at that moment in time. tj
    • Karen Cotter
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
        Welcome home, Tom and wifey....we all await your Log of the BlandingMobile!
        K Cotter
      • Allen Dayton
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
          The following is from the July-August 2005 issue of Hawaii Magazine--
          page 12

          The city and county of Honolulu will observe the 100th anniversary of
          its establishment by honoring 100 notable citizens and staging 100
          events from July 1 of 2005 to July 1 of 2006. There will be a
          Centennial Ball on Nov. 17 for 6 to 10 PM at the Sheraton Waikiki. It
          will honor 100 residents who have made significant contributions to
          Honolulu over the past century. There will be 100 tables, each
          dedicated to one of the honorees.

          The Honolulu Centennial Celebration Commission was formed on march 14 to
          plan and implement the centennial celebration.

          Note that all events are subject to Change.

          For more information, call 808-523-4674 or email moca-info@...

          The article says that you can read more about Honolulu's history by
          perusing www.co.honolulu.hi.us/cchnl.htm#city

          I would certainly think that the contributions that Don Blanding made in
          literature, poetry, art, theater, radio, etc. would warrant his
          inclusion on the list. Other than e-mailing them with our
          recommendations, does anyone have good ideas how to best bring this to
          the Commission's attention? Tom, Cadia, Bev, Keith; you guys have been
          the most active--Any thoughts.

          :-) Al Dayton

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
            Mahalo Al for letting us all know about this.

            E-mail recommendations form all of us would certainly help. How about
            sending a favorite poem with our request, or a favorite piece of Don's art
            that we might have or can scan and send along?

            We definitely have enough history of his time in the Islands and how he
            helped tourism to send on to them. Inviting them to join our web site would
            give them more information than they would ever need.

            Let's hear from the rest of you.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
              With the Centenial Ball set for Nov 2005, my question
              would be; Are the 100 honoree's already chosen? If
              not, how do we get input into the selection? We have
              Michael Pfeiffer (sorry about the spelling Michael), a
              prominent resident of Honolulu who is in our group
              that could help us with this. Curt Blanding is also
              residing in Honolulu and might be able to get info for
              us. It would be important to find out who we need to
              talk to, email, phone, etc., in the event the
              honoree's are not yet chosen.
              Michael.....Curt....where are you? tj

              --- Allen Dayton <adayton@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
[...]

              aloha-donblanding@...

              Poetry
              writing Poetry book
              publisher Poetry
              book
              Blanding ut
              Poetry book publishing
              Poetry writing contest

              Terms of Service.

              ---------------------------------
            • Michael
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
                Hi, michael here. I am on the Big Island until Wednesday, but will figure
                out what we need to do when I get backm aloha, michael
                ___
                Sent with SnapperMail
                www.snappermail.com

              • Allen Dayton
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
                  Michael! That is great! We need to make a professional presentation
                  for the nomination stressing Don's contributions to Honolulu and Hawaii,
                  particularly Lei Day, the Hawaiian Shirt, his articles in the Honolulu
                  Newspapers, his participation in the Honolulu theater, etc as well as
                  his writings and his art. I also wonder if someone at the University of
                  Hawaii and Bishop Museum would also endorse the nomination. It would be
                  great if someone like Jim Whiteley and the Great Plains Museum would be
                  willing to help. Perhaps the Mayor of Lawton could also write a
                  letter. These are just ideas and I hope others can provide better ones.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 11, 2005
                    Thanks Michael......maybe Desoto Brown might be able
                    to help or give info on this. He could be very
                    helpful, I think....tj

                    ---------------------------------

                    <tjmarkle@...> wrote:
                    >With the Centenial Ball set for Nov 2005, my question
                    >would be; Are the 100 honoree's already chosen? If
                    >not, how do we get input into the selection? We have
                    >Michael Pfeiffer (sorry about the spelling Michael),
                    >prominent resident of Honolulu who is in our group
                    >that could help us with this. Curt Blanding is also
                    >residing in Honolulu and might be able to get info
                    for
                    >us. It would be important to find out who we need to
                    >talk to, email, phone, etc., in the event the
                    >honoree's are not yet chosen.
                    >Michael.....Curt....where are you? tj
                    >
                    >--- Allen Dayton <adayton@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >---------------------------------
                    >The following is from the July-August 2005 issue of
                    >Hawaii Magazine--
                    >page 12
                    >
                    >The city and county of Honolulu will observe the
                    100th
                    >anniversary of
                    >its establishment by honoring 100 notable citizens
                    and
                    >staging 100
                    >events from July 1 of 2005 to July 1 of 2006. There
                    >will be a
                    >Centennial Ball on Nov. 17 for 6 to 10 PM at the
                    >Sheraton Waikiki. It
                    >will honor 100 residents who have made significant
                    >contributions to
                    >Honolulu over the past century. There will be 100
                    >tables, each
                    >dedicated to one of the honorees.
                    >
                    >The Honolulu Centennial Celebration Commission was
                    >formed on march 14 to
                    >plan and implement the centennial celebration.
                    >
                    >Note that all events are subject to Change.
                    >
                    >For more information, call 808-523-4674 or email
                    >moca-info@...
                    >
                    >The article says that you can read more about
                    >Honolulu's history by
                    >perusing www.co.honolulu.hi.us/cchnl.htm#city
                    >
                    >I would certainly think that the contributions that
                    >Don Blanding made in
                    >literature, poetry, art, theater, radio, etc. would
                    >warrant his
                    >inclusion on the list. Other than e-mailing them
                    with
                    >our
                    >recommendations, does anyone have good ideas how to
                    >best bring this to
                    >the Commission's attention? Tom, Cadia, Bev, Keith;
                    >you guys have been
                    >the most active--Any thoughts.
                    >
                    >:-) Al Dayton

                    >aloha-donblanding@...