Re: Orre Nobles & DB

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
      Cadia,

      I have photocopies of the UW photos. I couldn't afford digital scans
      of the photos. I will dig up the one of Don and post it to the files
      section.

      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 2:52 PM
        Hello, all ...

        The small book by Erna Tilley, "In Remembrance of Orre Nelson Nobles,
        1894-1967, and the Paths of Friendship," privately printed about 1970
        or 1971 is a good resource on both Orre Nobles and DB.

        In a message here last June, I mentioned that some photos of Orre
        Nobles, including one of Erna and DB at Olympus Manor, may be in a
        collection at the University of Washington. This is true. The
        collection, apparently donated by Erna Tilley, contains 12 photos
        from c. 1920 to 1950. A biographical note reads in part:

        "During the early 1920s, he and his family created Olympus Manor, a
        successful artist colony located on the shore of Hood Canal at Union
        [Mason County] where painters, musicians, writers, sculptors and
        dancers gathered to pursue their creative aspirations. Nobles
        designed a grand music room in 1923 in order to enlarge the family
        house. [This music room opened in the summer of 1925.]

        The photo of DB with Erna Tilley was taken about 1935.

        There's some question as to Nobles' dates of birth and death. The
        bio note states that he was born in Minnesota on April 18, 1894, and
        died in Seattle at his home Windy Cliff on December 14, 1967.
        However, the SSDI gives his DOB as April 18, 1895, and his DOD as
        December 15.

        ~~Cadia
      • SSchnei548@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4 10:40 AM
          Cadia - I can confirm that April 18, 1894 is the correct DOB of Orre Nobles.
          I have some of his diaries where he writes, such as on his 20th birthday,
          what his thoughts are for the future, etc. The Nobles family genecology also
          lists April 18, 1984 as his DOB. (Also his obit in the Mason County paper was
          incorrect in listing his age as 72).

          As to the date of death - the confusion, I believe is that he was found,
          after not being able to reach him, on the 15th but probably died on the 14th.

          Hope this helps - Carol

          Message 4 of 8 , May 4 3:30 PM
            Carol ...

            Thanks for confirming Orre's DOB as April 18, 1894. The only place I
            have seen 1895 is the Social Security Death Index. Perhaps you would
            like to append a note on that website to correct the year. It's
            possible that incorrect information was provided on the death
            certificate, or that it's just a typo on the website. It happens!