Orre Nobles & DB

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
      I have just spent a pleasant hour reading much of the small book by
      Erna Tilley, "In Remembrance of Orre Nelson Nobles, 1994-1967, and the
      Paths of Friendship." It was privately printed about 1970 or 1971.

      Don Blanding is mentioned often in this charming memoire, which has
      given me some new leads to follow. I think some photos of Orre
      Nobles, including one of Erna and DB at Olympus Manor, are in a
      collection at the University of Washington.

      Two copies of Ms. Tilley's book is available at the downtown Seattle
      Public Library (Floors 8 and 10) and at the Tacoma Public Library in
      the Northwest Collection.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2005
        Great little book isn't it. Keith sent me a copy of his to read and I have
        been looking to by one ever since. Will you be able to get copies of the U
        of W photos for our files?

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 29, 2005
          Cadia,

          I have photocopies of the UW photos. I couldn't afford digital scans
          of the photos. I will dig up the one of Don and post it to the files
          section.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2006
            Hello, all ...

            The small book by Erna Tilley, "In Remembrance of Orre Nelson Nobles,
            1894-1967, and the Paths of Friendship," privately printed about 1970
            or 1971 is a good resource on both Orre Nobles and DB.

            In a message here last June, I mentioned that some photos of Orre
            Nobles, including one of Erna and DB at Olympus Manor, may be in a
            collection at the University of Washington. This is true. The
            collection, apparently donated by Erna Tilley, contains 12 photos
            from c. 1920 to 1950. A biographical note reads in part:

            "During the early 1920s, he and his family created Olympus Manor, a
            successful artist colony located on the shore of Hood Canal at Union
            [Mason County] where painters, musicians, writers, sculptors and
            dancers gathered to pursue their creative aspirations. Nobles
            designed a grand music room in 1923 in order to enlarge the family
            house. [This music room opened in the summer of 1925.]

            The photo of DB with Erna Tilley was taken about 1935.

            There's some question as to Nobles' dates of birth and death. The
            bio note states that he was born in Minnesota on April 18, 1894, and
            died in Seattle at his home Windy Cliff on December 14, 1967.
            However, the SSDI gives his DOB as April 18, 1895, and his DOD as
            December 15.

            ~~Cadia
          • SSchnei548@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4, 2006
              Cadia - I can confirm that April 18, 1894 is the correct DOB of Orre Nobles.
              I have some of his diaries where he writes, such as on his 20th birthday,
              what his thoughts are for the future, etc. The Nobles family genecology also
              lists April 18, 1984 as his DOB. (Also his obit in the Mason County paper was
              incorrect in listing his age as 72).

              As to the date of death - the confusion, I believe is that he was found,
              after not being able to reach him, on the 15th but probably died on the 14th.

              Hope this helps - Carol

              Message 6 of 8 , May 4, 2006
                Carol ...

                Thanks for confirming Orre's DOB as April 18, 1894. The only place I
                have seen 1895 is the Social Security Death Index. Perhaps you would
                like to append a note on that website to correct the year. It's
                possible that incorrect information was provided on the death
                certificate, or that it's just a typo on the website. It happens!