Ebay auctions

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2005
      I'm selling some unusual Blanding items on ebay:

      Item # 8314179785 (ends on June 30th)
      Very rare set of four Hollywood Evening School poetry hardback
      books. Rare because they are all illustrated with drawings by Don
      Blanding, including three of the covers. Titles: 1948 Listen! The
      Night; 1949 Dusk Holds the Nightingale; 1950 Singing Shadows; 1951
      Evening Is A Window. Some of these books are signed by some of the
      authors who appear in them. All books in excellent condition.

      Item # 6542434771 (ends on July 3rd)
      Don Blanding inscribed this copy of Vagabond's House to Hollywood
      Director and Producer Sol Lesser (1890-1980), who in fact made the
      motion picture Hawaii Calls, based on Blanding's book Stowaways in
      Paradise. The story goes that Sol Lesser was on vacation in Honolulu
      in the Spring of 1937 when he read Stowaways in Paradise. He liked
      the story so much he decided to make it the next starring vehicle
      for child actor Bobby Breen. Lesser found out that Blanding was
      staying nearby and the two met up. Don signed this copy of
      Vagabond's House at that time, and shortly afterwards followed
      Lesser to Hollywood to act as technical adviser for the movie. The
      book later made it into the collection of film actor Paul Valentine,
      who I believe is still alive at the age of 86. There is a letter of
      authentication which will accompany the book for whoever wins this
      auction.

      I hope someone here bids on these items so that they stay in the
      family. I just can't keep holding on to all these books (my office
      is majorly cluttered.) The more personal Blanding trasures I hold
      onto.