Re: Will Lewers, friend of DB, and other tidbits

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2005
      Hi Cadia,

      Lewers was a professional actor who traveled quite a bit between
      Honolulu and the mainland. Me thinks he also had money as his father
      was Robert Lewers (of Lewers & Cooke, the Home Depot of its day.)

      Will took Don under his wing and got him his first job in Honolulu at
      the Advertiser. He also introduced him to the local theatrical circles.

      I own a signed photograph of Lewers on the front of a lobby card for
      Proctor's Albany Theatre, circa early 1900's.

      Sadly, Will killed himself in 1931.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23, 2005
        Aloha Cadia,
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 24, 2005
          Hi, Bev ...

          Yes, especially before 1950, the Star-Bulletin lists steamer
          passengers, and even has some photos. After 1950, the chances are less
          certain but there are often news items about arriving/departing
          passengers.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2005
            Thanks Cadia,

            I'll check it out. I'll be back on Maui in August to fix up our condo and
            hopefully visit the library.

            Mahalo,

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 25, 2005
              You lookin" for a house sitter there? We're always avaialble for that kind
              of dirty work. Thanks, Allen

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 25, 2005
                Thanks, but just looking for renters when not there.
                You lookin" for a house sitter there? We're always avaialble for that
                kind
                of dirty work. Thanks, Allen
                > I'll check it out. I'll be back on Maui in August to fix up our condo
                and
                > hopefully visit the library.
                >
                > Mahalo,
                >
                > Bev.