Will Lewers, friend of DB, and other tidbits

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2005
      Hello, all ...

      I am currently reading more of the S-B from 1916, 1917 and December
      1955. The other night I happened on the name "Will Lewers" on a
      steamer passenger list, arriving in Honolulu from San Francisco in
      November 1917.

      I'll go back and find the exact citation -- I knew the name sounded
      familiar but couldn't place it until I checked Keith's "people" list:

      Lewers, William H. (1868-1931) - Friend from Hawaii, introduced
      Blanding to the islands, theatrical actor and producer. He is
      the "Will" in Hula Moons.

      Since Lewers was not listed as being "from" Honolulu, but San
      Francisco, can we guess that he arrived in Hawaii nearly a year after
      DB?

      Also, for a December 14-15, 1917, Footlights production of three one-
      act plays -- including one by Fannie Heaslip Lea -- DB is mentioned as
      being in charge of design. He was not, however, mentioned in the
      review of the productions, which was quite favorable.

      DB enlisted in the Army in December 1917; I already knew he'd
      registered for the draft on July 31, 1917; his home address is shown
      as that of Helen Alexander's Laniakea; she is listed as his employer.
      Still trying to find DB's name in the extensive lists published in the
      newspaper. There's a photo of DB in uniform in the S-B, too.

      More soon ...

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2005
        Hi Cadia,

        Lewers was a professional actor who traveled quite a bit between
        Honolulu and the mainland. Me thinks he also had money as his father
        was Robert Lewers (of Lewers & Cooke, the Home Depot of its day.)

        Will took Don under his wing and got him his first job in Honolulu at
        the Advertiser. He also introduced him to the local theatrical circles.

        I own a signed photograph of Lewers on the front of a lobby card for
        Proctor's Albany Theatre, circa early 1900's.

        Sadly, Will killed himself in 1931.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23, 2005
          Aloha Cadia,
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 24, 2005
            Hi, Bev ...

            Yes, especially before 1950, the Star-Bulletin lists steamer
            passengers, and even has some photos. After 1950, the chances are less
            certain but there are often news items about arriving/departing
            passengers.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2005
              Thanks Cadia,

              I'll check it out. I'll be back on Maui in August to fix up our condo and
              hopefully visit the library.

              Mahalo,

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 25, 2005
                You lookin" for a house sitter there? We're always avaialble for that kind
                of dirty work. Thanks, Allen

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 25, 2005
                  Thanks, but just looking for renters when not there.
                  You lookin" for a house sitter there? We're always avaialble for that
                  kind
                  of dirty work. Thanks, Allen
                  > I'll check it out. I'll be back on Maui in August to fix up our condo
                  and
                  > hopefully visit the library.
                  >
                  > Mahalo,
                  >
                  > Bev.