Blanding & Kimble families in same place - finally!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4 3:35 PM
      Hello, all ...

      While trying, without success, to find Ida Kimble Bacon on the 1880
      census, I stumbled across the Blanding-Kimble link that has eluded me
      for years.

      On a hunch, I tried "Hudson" and found Louis P. and Sarah Kimble
      Hudson (Ida's older sister whom we refer to as Aunt Sarah) in
      Wahpeton, Richland County, Dakota Territory (now North Dakota).

      Bingo! That's where Joseph and Maria Blanding were living with their
      family at the time, including Hugh Ross Blanding, 28, a civil
      engineer; Elizabeth B., Walter, Joseph S. and Frank M., ranging in
      age from 12 to 22. By 1880, James C. Blanding, Emma and Jessie M.
      Blanding had moved on; chances are that the youngest siblings Mary E.
      and Morris D. (who would have been in their early 20s) had either
      moved on or died.

      The 1880 census has Joseph W. living separately from Maria.

      The Hudson household also includes their children, Ada, 8, and
      Charlie, 6. Both are named for Sarah's younger siblings. Louis is
      an insurance agent. In addition. there are 4 boarders -- one is
      Sarah's brother, Erastus, 28, a farm laborer. The others are Frank
      Schneider, 46, blacksmith; R. Wood, 23, hardware dealer; and Charles
      Wood, 17, store clerk.

      In a place as small as Wahpeton, it's very likely that the 2
      families knew each other and that Hugh and Erastus were friends.

      By the spring of 1881, Hugh R. was in Aberdeen, Brown County, D.T.
      (now South Dakota) and in September of that year he was on his way to
      Minneapolis to marry Ida Kimble Bacon. They were married October 24,
      1881, in Wabasha, Minnesota.

      I should find Ida in Wabasha County in 1880; her father James L.
      Kimble lived in Chester and other Kimbles were nearby. So far, nom
      luck, but at least there's now a firm link between the Blandings and
      Kimbles.

      ~~Cadia
    • donwen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5 11:30 PM
        Great super sleuthing Cadia, keep up the good work!
        Donna

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6 1:56 PM
          Here's another connection of the Kimbles in the same town as the Blandings in
          1880...
          It looks like Ida Kimble Bacon's brother, Erastus, (if this is the right
          Erastus) was also living in Wahpeton, Richland Co., Dakota Territory according to
          the 1880 census, living with the Kasek family:

          Name spouse or parents names residence 1880
          est birthdate / place

          relationship to head of household
          Henry KASEK John KASEK,Katie KASEK Wahpeton, Richland, DT <1863> BOH
          Son
          John KASEK Katie KASEK Wahpeton, Richland, DT<1808>
          BOH Self
          Katie KASEK John KASEK Wahpeton, Richland, DT<1812>
          BOH Wife
          Erastus KIMBLE Wahpeton, Richland, DT<1852> Wisconsin
          something other than a direct relationship

          Donna
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6 6:35 PM
            Hi, Donna ...

            I'm not surprised to find Erastus Kimble listed in 2 households --
            chances are the enumerations were done on different dates, or both
            locations claimed him as "present" even if he wasn't.

            On the 1920 census, Don Blanding is listed twice, too. Once in
            Rockford, Illinois, and once in Lawton, Oklahoma. Different dates.