Re: Yellowstone Park and James C. Blanding

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
      Yes, the
      > James C. Blanding was most likely the brother to Don Blanding's
      father, Joseph W.
      > Blanding.

      Not correct. James C. Blanding was Hugh Ross Blanding's elder brother
      (by 4 years), the son of Joseph W. Blanding and Maria.

      James C. Blanding was born 7 May 1848, and was a surveyor, so it's
      > likely he surveyed the Yellowstone roads, etc. The only other
      information I
      > found on him is:
      >
      > 1880 Census. Place: Sheridan, Pennington, Dakota Territory
      > James C. BLANDING, Head, Male, White, 35, b. PA, Surveyor (father b.
      PA,
      > mother b. WI)
      > Christine BLANDING, Wife, Female, White, 27, b. SWE, Keeping House
      (father b.
      > SWE, mother b. SWE) [I believe SWE means South Western Europe as
      place ...

      No. SWE means SWEDEN.

      There are several other census listings for a James C. Blanding ... I
      don't have my notes with me but I believe the 1910 census includes a
      JCB with wife Mary (also b. Sweden!) in Livingston, Montana.

      I am not convinced that any of these is actually Hugh's brother, but
      the Sheridan, D.T., listing is a good possibility. The age is off by
      3 years, though.

      I'll try to a bit more digging in my notes to see if I can find any
      relevant details.

      ~~Cadia

      > Very interesting information about James C. Blanding!! Hope to hear
      more.
      > Keith found some interesting references to Hugh R. Blanding in the
      Deadwood
      > Historical Newspaper Index. ." It appears he was a Pennington
      County delegate
      > to the U.S. Grand Jury in Rapid City" in 1878. That same year Jim
      Blanding
      > was "fighting mountain lions in the Black Hills." and "James C.
      Blanding was in
      > an article on the "Peoples party ticket in Pennington County" in the
      Black

    • donwen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005
        Hi Cadia,
        Sorry I incorrectly stated that Joseph W. Blanding was DB's father, of course
        it was Hugh Ross Blanding. Joseph W. Blanding was his grandfather. And
        thanks for translating the SWE means Sweden.
        Donna