Yellowstone Park and James C. Blanding

  • donwen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      TJ,
      I just got home from Big Island of Hawaii and read your post. Yes, the
      James C. Blanding was most likely the brother to Don Blanding's father, Joseph W.
      Blanding. James C. Blanding was born 7 May 1848, and was a surveyor, so it's
      likely he surveyed the Yellowstone roads, etc. The only other information I
      found on him is:

      1880 Census. Place: Sheridan, Pennington, Dakota Territory
      James C. BLANDING, Head, Male, White, 35, b. PA, Surveyor (father b. PA,
      mother b. WI)
      Christine BLANDING, Wife, Female, White, 27, b. SWE, Keeping House (father b.
      SWE, mother b. SWE) [I believe SWE means South Western Europe as place of
      birth-dw]

      Also in 1880 Don Blanding's father, Hugh R. Blanding age 28, was listed as a
      Civil Engineer, and Don Blanding's grandfather, Joseph Blanding was a Lawyer -
      all in Wahpeton, Richland County, Dakota Territory.

      Very interesting information about James C. Blanding!! Hope to hear more.
      Keith found some interesting references to Hugh R. Blanding in the Deadwood
      Historical Newspaper Index. ." It appears he was a Pennington County delegate
      to the U.S. Grand Jury in Rapid City" in 1878. That same year Jim Blanding
      was "fighting mountain lions in the Black Hills." and "James C. Blanding was in
      an article on the "Peoples party ticket in Pennington County" in the Black
      Hills Daily Times Oct 14 1880. If you get a chance to copy any of the Blanding
      associated articles in these old newspapers in South Dakota it would be
      terrific.

      I think Hugh Ross Blanding lived in Aberdeen, SD for a while - I think I
      found some land records for him there.
      Aloha, Donna Wendt

    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
        Donna
        You should have visited us on Maui

        Maui Tom
        _www.oldwailukuinn.com_ (http://www.oldwailukuinn.com)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
          Yes, the
          > James C. Blanding was most likely the brother to Don Blanding's
          father, Joseph W.
          > Blanding.

          Not correct. James C. Blanding was Hugh Ross Blanding's elder brother
          (by 4 years), the son of Joseph W. Blanding and Maria.

          James C. Blanding was born 7 May 1848, and was a surveyor, so it's
          > likely he surveyed the Yellowstone roads, etc. The only other
          information I
          > found on him is:
          >
          > 1880 Census. Place: Sheridan, Pennington, Dakota Territory
          > James C. BLANDING, Head, Male, White, 35, b. PA, Surveyor (father b.
          PA,
          > mother b. WI)
          > Christine BLANDING, Wife, Female, White, 27, b. SWE, Keeping House
          (father b.
          > SWE, mother b. SWE) [I believe SWE means South Western Europe as
          place ...

          No. SWE means SWEDEN.

          There are several other census listings for a James C. Blanding ... I
          don't have my notes with me but I believe the 1910 census includes a
          JCB with wife Mary (also b. Sweden!) in Livingston, Montana.

          I am not convinced that any of these is actually Hugh's brother, but
          the Sheridan, D.T., listing is a good possibility. The age is off by
          3 years, though.

          I'll try to a bit more digging in my notes to see if I can find any
          relevant details.

          ~~Cadia

        • donwen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005
            Hi Cadia,
            Sorry I incorrectly stated that Joseph W. Blanding was DB's father, of course
            it was Hugh Ross Blanding. Joseph W. Blanding was his grandfather. And
            thanks for translating the SWE means Sweden.
            Donna