Re: [aloha-donblanding] Digest Number 793

  • MICHAEL BROOKMAN
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Just a quick "hello." Enjoy the postings, though I haven't participated in a while. Keep up the good work, y'all! michael brookman

      There are 7 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Yellowstone Park
      From: "Tom Markle"
      2. RE: Yellowstone Park
      From: "Bev Leinbach"
      3. Re: Yellowstone Park
      From: "Jackie Collins"
      4. C.W. Hudson, Bend Oregon
      From: "Tom Markle"
      5. From Here To Eternity
      From: "Tom Markle"
      6. Re: From Here To Eternity
      From: pgbusi@...
      7. What Book?
      From: "Tom Markle"

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 20:28:50 -0000
      From: "Tom Markle"
      Subject: Yellowstone Park

      I talked with the Park Historian who has a name he is tracing and has little
      info on. He was interested in our search for DB as his missing person's name
      is James C. Blanding. As it turns out JC was a road builder for the new
      National Yellowstone Park and did some additional work around 1908 which
      is about the time that our DB came there to work summers. I don't know the
      connection if any to JC Blanding. There is a hill inside Yellowstone named
      Blanding Hill (ok, big deal!). Is this who DB came to stay with in Livingston
      and Gardner Montana while he worked summers in Yellowstone? Gardner is
      the town right next to the entrance gate to Yellowstone. I would presume that
      DB came by rail to Livingston and then to Gardner. The rails were in
      Livingston at that time but I don't know if they went to Gardner at that time. So,
      anyone know of James C. Blanding??? I checked our geneology charts but
      didn't see the name. I have several other names of local historians that I've
      left messages with. We'll see what tidbits develop. I'm leaving here on
      Tuesday or Wednesday for South Dakota.
      Part two: I have an email from a guy in Bend who says he wrote a 300
      page thesis on George Putnam. He is very interested in DB as he knew they
      were close friends in 1912-13. DB and Dorothy did some theatrical work in
      Bend during this time. Later George became the Mayor of Bend but I don't
      know the year yet. I'm also having the 1953 radio interview of DB put on DVD
      for me. I have the written transcript of it. It will take some time to track down
      the tape of it but I will pay the price to get it. It would be the first natural tones
      from DB that I would be able to listen to. Not his usual Tempo record voice or
      others. For what its worth I walked by 755 Wall St in Bend which is where DB
      lived in 1952-3. The busness was closed or I would have gone in and asked
      to go up to Apt #7. Kind of fun. Laptop down to 19%, time to recharge...tj

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:48:29 -0700
      From: "Bev Leinbach"
      Subject: RE: Yellowstone Park

      Good hearing from you Tom,

      Love reading about these new things you are finding out about our guy. Good
      luck searching and keep us posted.

      Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:00:46 -1000
      From: "Jackie Collins"

      Dear Tom
      Interesting that you are researching George P. Putnam
      of Bend.....did you know he was married to Amelia Earhart?

      Aloha...........Jackie

      Jacqueline Collins, Realtor Associate
      Mary Worrall Associates, Inc.
      Exclusive Affiliate of Christie's Great Estates
      Cell: (808) 224-4285
      Office: (808) 739-4465
      FAX: (808) 394-2201
      email: JackieCollins@...
      (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
      on the web: www.jackie-collins.com

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 00:31:58 -0000
      From: "Tom Markle"
      Subject: C.W. Hudson, Bend Oregon

      C.W. was DB's cousin whom he worked for at the First National Bank in
      1912 after graduation from High School. I am assuming he lived with C.W.
      during this time but have no documentation of that yet. C.W. was the
      President of the bank which is why DB got hired as he did. DB stated that it
      didn't take long to know that Banking was not his life. He worked there for 14
      months then went to the Chicago Institute of Art. Meanwhile, as we know, he
      did some art work for the Bend Bulletin and a local cafe which escapes my
      memory right now. DB indicated that he and Don May were close buddies
      and climbed Mt. Jefferson to within 150ft, the last of which was too
      treacherous. He canoe'd, hiked, road horses and even tried a game of golf.
      He said he and Don May went down to the pasture by the Des Chute river
      and hit balls but he lost 3 balls and quit because they cost money and he had
      little. He indicated he wasn't very interested in golf, like the others were.
      There were too many gopher holes to golf there. Later in 1953 he took his
      Quack and Waddle photo's at Drake Park which he says in 1912 was the site
      of his great golf adventure. I can imagine the joy in his heart to be there in
      1953 and thinking back to the days of Don May.
      To the other message posts: Yes we know that Earhardt was married to
      Putnam. I'm not necessarily researching Putnam other than how it blends into
      knowing more about DB. I had no idea that they were such close friends
      starting in 1912 or thereabouts. I'm curious as to when, where, how, they got
      together the first time. I'm assuming it was in Bend but don't really know yet.
      I'll go on line one more time tomorrow morning before heading outa here
      and see what other posts there are. From here on in, it's hit and miss for me
      as I'm in a motorhome and don't always have a phone connection source.
      Hoping to hit the Chicago Institute for sure. Just want to see it and say I've
      been there. Aloha from Wilsall Montana, population 253.....or 251 after
      tomorrow...ha....tj

      Message: 5
      Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 00:42:20 -0000
      From: "Tom Markle"
      Subject: From Here To Eternity

      Anyone have a copy of this book? Towards the end of this famous book there
      is a reference to DB or the use of one of his famous Hawaiian phrases. Thats
      all I know, so please, someone look it up and see if it is there......another
      roadside tidbit I gleaned somewhere between Bend and Livingston.....tj

      Message: 6
      Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:58:34 EDT
      From: pgbusi@...
      Subject: Re: From Here To Eternity

      TJ---What book?
      Keep up the excellent research.
      Dean

      Message: 7
      Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:52:36 -0000
      From: "Tom Markle"
      Subject: What Book?

      From Here To Eternity is the book. Evidently towards tthe end of the book
      there is a passage that DB wrote, something about passing by Diamondhead.
      I'm not sure if it has DB's name on it or not but the passage is DB's for sure.
      Kind of interesting and gives a little more credibility to him, I guess. This is my
      last Montana post. Off to South Dakota and Minnisota over the next 10 days
      or so.....aloha.....tj