C.W. Hudson, Bend Oregon

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      C.W. was DB's cousin whom he worked for at the First National Bank in
      1912 after graduation from High School. I am assuming he lived with C.W.
      during this time but have no documentation of that yet. C.W. was the
      President of the bank which is why DB got hired as he did. DB stated that it
      didn't take long to know that Banking was not his life. He worked there for 14
      months then went to the Chicago Institute of Art. Meanwhile, as we know, he
      did some art work for the Bend Bulletin and a local cafe which escapes my
      memory right now. DB indicated that he and Don May were close buddies
      and climbed Mt. Jefferson to within 150ft, the last of which was too
      treacherous. He canoe'd, hiked, road horses and even tried a game of golf.
      He said he and Don May went down to the pasture by the Des Chute river
      and hit balls but he lost 3 balls and quit because they cost money and he had
      little. He indicated he wasn't very interested in golf, like the others were.
      There were too many gopher holes to golf there. Later in 1953 he took his
      Quack and Waddle photo's at Drake Park which he says in 1912 was the site
      of his great golf adventure. I can imagine the joy in his heart to be there in
      1953 and thinking back to the days of Don May.
      To the other message posts: Yes we know that Earhardt was married to
      Putnam. I'm not necessarily researching Putnam other than how it blends into
      knowing more about DB. I had no idea that they were such close friends
      starting in 1912 or thereabouts. I'm curious as to when, where, how, they got
      together the first time. I'm assuming it was in Bend but don't really know yet.
      I'll go on line one more time tomorrow morning before heading outa here
      and see what other posts there are. From here on in, it's hit and miss for me
      as I'm in a motorhome and don't always have a phone connection source.
      Hoping to hit the Chicago Institute for sure. Just want to see it and say I've
      been there. Aloha from Wilsall Montana, population 253.....or 251 after
      tomorrow...ha....tj