Yellowstone Park

  • Tom Markle
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2005
      I talked with the Park Historian who has a name he is tracing and has little
      info on. He was interested in our search for DB as his missing person's name
      is James C. Blanding. As it turns out JC was a road builder for the new
      National Yellowstone Park and did some additional work around 1908 which
      is about the time that our DB came there to work summers. I don't know the
      connection if any to JC Blanding. There is a hill inside Yellowstone named
      Blanding Hill (ok, big deal!). Is this who DB came to stay with in Livingston
      and Gardner Montana while he worked summers in Yellowstone? Gardner is
      the town right next to the entrance gate to Yellowstone. I would presume that
      DB came by rail to Livingston and then to Gardner. The rails were in
      Livingston at that time but I don't know if they went to Gardner at that time. So,
      anyone know of James C. Blanding??? I checked our geneology charts but
      didn't see the name. I have several other names of local historians that I've
      left messages with. We'll see what tidbits develop. I'm leaving here on
      Tuesday or Wednesday for South Dakota.
      Part two: I have an email from a guy in Bend who says he wrote a 300
      page thesis on George Putnam. He is very interested in DB as he knew they
      were close friends in 1912-13. DB and Dorothy did some theatrical work in
      Bend during this time. Later George became the Mayor of Bend but I don't
      know the year yet. I'm also having the 1953 radio interview of DB put on DVD
      for me. I have the written transcript of it. It will take some time to track down
      the tape of it but I will pay the price to get it. It would be the first natural tones
      from DB that I would be able to listen to. Not his usual Tempo record voice or
      others. For what its worth I walked by 755 Wall St in Bend which is where DB
      lived in 1952-3. The busness was closed or I would have gone in and asked
      to go up to Apt #7. Kind of fun. Laptop down to 19%, time to recharge...tj
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2005
        Good hearing from you Tom,

        Love reading about these new things you are finding out about our guy. Good
        luck searching and keep us posted.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2005
          Dear Tom
          Interesting that you are researching George P. Putnam
          of Bend.....did you know he was married to Amelia Earhart?

          Aloha...........Jackie

          Jacqueline Collins, Realtor Associate
          Mary Worrall Associates, Inc.
          Exclusive Affiliate of Christie's Great Estates
          Cell: (808) 224-4285
          Office: (808) 739-4465
          FAX: (808) 394-2201
          email: JackieCollins@...
          (All outgoing mail scanned by Norton Antivirus)
          on the web: www.jackie-collins.com

        • Karen Cotter
          Message 4 of 4 , May 30, 2005
            Tom, I think I have a missing link for you. James C Blanding, born 1845,
            was in Sheridan, Pennsylvania, Dakota Territories in 1880.
            He was a surveyor, which fits the description of your fellow. This man was
            married to Christine, born in Sweden. I'll see what else I can find. Karen
            Cotter