Re: [aloha-donblanding] Happy 78th Lei Day Mr. Blanding

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      Thanks Keith
      To everyone I want to share (remember my favorite lei Poem by DB)
      Janice was just retypping it yesterday for our Mokihana Room Door.
      http://www.oldwailukuinn.com/images/mokihana.jpg
      We will make a lei today!

      Maui Tom

      MOKIHANA LEI
      To Lahilahi Webb who sent it to me from Hawaii.

      If you had sent a string of sultry amber,
      Amethyst and jade, or beaten gold
      Or ivory carved in intricate devices
      My thanks to you could readily be told.
      But this . . . a lei of fragrant mokihana
      Is memory imprisoned on a chain,
      Each bead a day, an hour, a happy moment
      Evoked to living vividness again.
      This scent of anise, musk and yellow ginger
      Recalls for me white nights of moonlit joy
      And magic days of lazy golden raptures
      And heartstrings throbbing to Aloha Oe.

      If you had sent a strand of frosty crystal
      My thanks would not be difficult to give
      But this . . . a lei of fragrant mokihana
      Will twine my heart with memory while I live.

      Memory Room page 54
      Don Blanding