Happy 78th Lei Day Mr. Blanding

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      Aloha All!

      Wishing everyone around the world a very happy Lei Day - the 78th
      annual!

      Keith
    • mauibandb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2005
        Thanks Keith
        To everyone I want to share (remember my favorite lei Poem by DB)
        Janice was just retypping it yesterday for our Mokihana Room Door.
        http://www.oldwailukuinn.com/images/mokihana.jpg
        We will make a lei today!

        Maui Tom

        MOKIHANA LEI
        To Lahilahi Webb who sent it to me from Hawaii.

        If you had sent a string of sultry amber,
        Amethyst and jade, or beaten gold
        Or ivory carved in intricate devices
        My thanks to you could readily be told.
        But this . . . a lei of fragrant mokihana
        Is memory imprisoned on a chain,
        Each bead a day, an hour, a happy moment
        Evoked to living vividness again.
        This scent of anise, musk and yellow ginger
        Recalls for me white nights of moonlit joy
        And magic days of lazy golden raptures
        And heartstrings throbbing to Aloha Oe.

        If you had sent a strand of frosty crystal
        My thanks would not be difficult to give
        But this . . . a lei of fragrant mokihana
        Will twine my heart with memory while I live.

        Memory Room page 54
        Don Blanding