Re: Don Blanding in Honolulu on Feb. 12, 1916?

    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 19, 2005
      Aloha Curt,

      Those photos are great! Thanks for providing them.

      The mystery deepens. It appears Don was in two places at once...in the
      Canadian Army...and in Honolulu...both in Feb 1916.

      Maybe his poem "The Double Life" came true for him after all.

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
        Hello, everyone ....

        After almost 2 years, I think I may have solved the mystery of
        Curt's poster purporting to show photos of Don Blanding and Florence
        Butler in "In a Persian Garden."

        http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/DB_HCT_photos/pages/H
        CT_DonBlanding_Poster_19160212.htm

        On April 9, 1917, both DB and Miss Butler appeared in a tableaux as
        part of the opening of the Lanai Theater at Helen Alexander's
        Laniakea. The tableaux was called "Two People of Tanagra" and its
        segments were Dawn and Awakening, Bachanal, Afternoon, Elegy, Dance
        Tanagra, and Invocation. Three of the four photos easily could have
        been from this tableaux.

        In addition, DB and Robert Purvis appeared in "Two Natures Struggle
        Within Me," in which both men were very scantily clad. I think the
        solo photo of DB (dancing) may be from this tableaux.

        I'll upload a drawing done by Mrs. Bruce Cartright, Jr., that shows
        Mr. Purvis and DB as "Two Souls." The drawing also shows Miss
        Butler (Invocation) and, although the costume does not match either
        of those in the photos, I still offer the 1917 production as a
        possibility.

        At one point, The Footlights Club did use the Lanai Theater for its
        productions. Photos from various sources easily might have been
        mixed up and mislabeled.

        On April 19, 1917, The Footlights Club presented "The Buddha of the
        Hills" at the Diamond Head residence of Dr. and Mrs. Charles Adams.
        Blanding was not part of the cast.

        ~~Cadia

        --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, Curt Blanding <curt@...>
        wrote:

        > I finally got back to the Diamond Head Theater in Honolulu and
        took
        > photographs of the historical poster that I mentioned to the group
        a while ago.

        > The poster clearly claims that Don was in the play "In a Persian
        Garden" on

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
          The illustration from the April 1917 Lanai Theater opening is at

          Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1917 Articles on Don
          Blanding

          Here's a better link to Curt's poster images:

          http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/DB_HCT_photos/

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
            Having trouble getting into the files today.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
              Maybe the photo I own of a scantily clad (nude) DB is
              from this same era? The production date was actually
              late 1940's but he was maybe 20-22 in this photo. I
              think I made a copy of this photo for Keith. I am on
              the road again, not returning home until late March.
              Heading for Yuma area. Planned to snoop around the
              Historical Societies of Yuma while there. I will
              have email but it will be spotty. tj

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                Tom,

                I think the totally nude photo of Don you made a copy of for me was from his Chicago
                Student days when he did some modelling for life drawing classes.

                It was a side shot (hiding his privates obviously) but would have been too risque for a
                theatrical photo.

                Of course it could also have been yet another one of his career tangents...posing for a
                1920's beefcake magazine (ha ha!)

                Have fun in Arizona. If you venture into New Mexico you can research the Blanding/Taos
                connection.

                Keith

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                  Bev ....

                  Here's a direct link to the image:

                  http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?
                  u=3010967&a=32303273&p=75253479

                  If nothing else, go to

                  http://www.photo.epson.com

                  and type in my e-mail address to access my albums.

                  By the way, I've come across a few mentions of Armine in the April and
                  May 1917 microfilm. Off to the library now to finish reading but will
                  e-mail you tonight.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                    Still couldn't get in.

                    The first one said:
                    Sorry. The url (web page address) should not have a 'u=...' section.

                    Please contact Customer Service if you need any assistance.

                    The second just showed things you were advertising.

                    I am hoping the Huntington will be able to start getting the Star Bulletin
                    for me starting with 1923-28. If you are reading 1917, I won't have to
                    check it out. What other years have you covered? I am hoping to find ads
                    for their Dude Ranch in 23-28.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                      How can I get back into the group files again? I haven't done it for a
                      while and it does not recognize me as a member anymore.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                        Bev ...

                        To access restricted group sections, go to

                        and sign in with your Yahoo ID (bevl3) and your password. If you
                        don't remember your password, there's a link to have the information e-
                        mailed to you. Then just follow the instructions provided.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                          I have tried all this and Yahoo doesn't let me in. Maybe I will rejoin.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                            I have so many files on DB, I keep forgetting which ones are private
                            and which ones are accessible.

                            Here's a better link for the 1917 illustration:

                            http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/1917lanai.jpg

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                              Mahalo,

                              I gave up and rejoined the group and at the moment can view our group.

                              Mahalo for all your time today to try and help me back in.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                Same problem---Dean

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                  Dean,
                                  I rejoined and now I am in again. Go figure. This is the 3rd time I have
                                  had to change my pass-word in order to get in. Good old Yahoo.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                    Bev, you didn't rejoin the group ... you just changed your profile.
                                    The original join date is intact.

                                    Dean, try doing as Bev did. Using the same e-mail address as you
                                    already have, create a new Yahoo ID and password. That should merge
                                    with the original profile.

                                    You both can always change the Yahoo ID's back to what they were, if
                                    you wish.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                      Cadia,

                                      That may be what they tell you, but it isn't that easy from this side of
                                      the screen. I even had Hal trying to figure out what to do and he left.