Re: [aloha-donblanding] Don Blanding in Honolulu on Feb. 12, 1916?

  • mauibandb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 17 3:56 PM
      I believe it was called the Ft Ruger theater then.

      aloha
      Maui Tom

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 19 6:10 AM
        Aloha Curt,

        Those photos are great! Thanks for providing them.

        The mystery deepens. It appears Don was in two places at once...in the
        Canadian Army...and in Honolulu...both in Feb 1916.

        Maybe his poem "The Double Life" came true for him after all.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
          Hello, everyone ....

          After almost 2 years, I think I may have solved the mystery of
          Curt's poster purporting to show photos of Don Blanding and Florence
          Butler in "In a Persian Garden."

          http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/DB_HCT_photos/pages/H
          CT_DonBlanding_Poster_19160212.htm

          On April 9, 1917, both DB and Miss Butler appeared in a tableaux as
          part of the opening of the Lanai Theater at Helen Alexander's
          Laniakea. The tableaux was called "Two People of Tanagra" and its
          segments were Dawn and Awakening, Bachanal, Afternoon, Elegy, Dance
          Tanagra, and Invocation. Three of the four photos easily could have
          been from this tableaux.

          In addition, DB and Robert Purvis appeared in "Two Natures Struggle
          Within Me," in which both men were very scantily clad. I think the
          solo photo of DB (dancing) may be from this tableaux.

          I'll upload a drawing done by Mrs. Bruce Cartright, Jr., that shows
          Mr. Purvis and DB as "Two Souls." The drawing also shows Miss
          Butler (Invocation) and, although the costume does not match either
          of those in the photos, I still offer the 1917 production as a
          possibility.

          At one point, The Footlights Club did use the Lanai Theater for its
          productions. Photos from various sources easily might have been
          mixed up and mislabeled.

          On April 19, 1917, The Footlights Club presented "The Buddha of the
          Hills" at the Diamond Head residence of Dr. and Mrs. Charles Adams.
          Blanding was not part of the cast.

          ~~Cadia

          --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, Curt Blanding <curt@...>
          wrote:

          > I finally got back to the Diamond Head Theater in Honolulu and
          took
          > photographs of the historical poster that I mentioned to the group
          a while ago.

          > The poster clearly claims that Don was in the play "In a Persian
          Garden" on

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
            The illustration from the April 1917 Lanai Theater opening is at

            Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1917 Articles on Don
            Blanding

            Here's a better link to Curt's poster images:

            http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/DB_HCT_photos/

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
              Having trouble getting into the files today.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                Maybe the photo I own of a scantily clad (nude) DB is
                from this same era? The production date was actually
                late 1940's but he was maybe 20-22 in this photo. I
                think I made a copy of this photo for Keith. I am on
                the road again, not returning home until late March.
                Heading for Yuma area. Planned to snoop around the
                Historical Societies of Yuma while there. I will
                have email but it will be spotty. tj

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                  Tom,

                  I think the totally nude photo of Don you made a copy of for me was from his Chicago
                  Student days when he did some modelling for life drawing classes.

                  It was a side shot (hiding his privates obviously) but would have been too risque for a
                  theatrical photo.

                  Of course it could also have been yet another one of his career tangents...posing for a
                  1920's beefcake magazine (ha ha!)

                  Have fun in Arizona. If you venture into New Mexico you can research the Blanding/Taos
                  connection.

                  Keith

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                    Bev ....

                    Here's a direct link to the image:

                    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?
                    u=3010967&a=32303273&p=75253479

                    If nothing else, go to

                    http://www.photo.epson.com

                    and type in my e-mail address to access my albums.

                    By the way, I've come across a few mentions of Armine in the April and
                    May 1917 microfilm. Off to the library now to finish reading but will
                    e-mail you tonight.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                      Still couldn't get in.

                      The first one said:
                      Sorry. The url (web page address) should not have a 'u=...' section.

                      Please contact Customer Service if you need any assistance.

                      The second just showed things you were advertising.

                      I am hoping the Huntington will be able to start getting the Star Bulletin
                      for me starting with 1923-28. If you are reading 1917, I won't have to
                      check it out. What other years have you covered? I am hoping to find ads
                      for their Dude Ranch in 23-28.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                        How can I get back into the group files again? I haven't done it for a
                        while and it does not recognize me as a member anymore.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                          Bev ...

                          To access restricted group sections, go to

                          and sign in with your Yahoo ID (bevl3) and your password. If you
                          don't remember your password, there's a link to have the information e-
                          mailed to you. Then just follow the instructions provided.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                            I have tried all this and Yahoo doesn't let me in. Maybe I will rejoin.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                              I have so many files on DB, I keep forgetting which ones are private
                              and which ones are accessible.

                              Here's a better link for the 1917 illustration:

                              http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/1917lanai.jpg

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                                Mahalo,

                                I gave up and rejoined the group and at the moment can view our group.

                                Mahalo for all your time today to try and help me back in.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                  Same problem---Dean

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                    Dean,
                                    I rejoined and now I am in again. Go figure. This is the 3rd time I have
                                    had to change my pass-word in order to get in. Good old Yahoo.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                      Bev, you didn't rejoin the group ... you just changed your profile.
                                      The original join date is intact.

                                      Dean, try doing as Bev did. Using the same e-mail address as you
                                      already have, create a new Yahoo ID and password. That should merge
                                      with the original profile.

                                      You both can always change the Yahoo ID's back to what they were, if
                                      you wish.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                        Cadia,

                                        That may be what they tell you, but it isn't that easy from this side of
                                        the screen. I even had Hal trying to figure out what to do and he left.