Don Blanding in Honolulu on Feb. 12, 1916?

  • Curt Blanding
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 16, 2005
      I finally got back to the Diamond Head Theater in Honolulu and took
      photographs of the historical poster that I mentioned to the group a while ago.

      The poster clearly claims that Don was in the play "In a Persian Garden" on
      Feb. 12, 1916. This, of course, is a conflict with Keith's research which
      determined that Don arrived in Honolulu in December of 1916. I haven't
      taken the time to try to find someone at the theater to check with about
      what documentation they have to substantiate the accuracy of their dates.

      I have put some of the pictures on my website and here is the URL:
      http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/DB_HCT_photos/index.htm

      If you have any trouble viewing it or if you want a copy of the files, just
      send me an email directly at
      mailto:curt@...

      Keith - If you want to check this out further, I have the name and phone
      number for the director of the theater.

      The theater has a nice website with a history page at:
      http://www.diamondheadtheatre.com/about/history.htm
    • donwen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
        That's a great find, Curt. Amazing pictures of Don at the Diamond Head
        Theater.
        Donna

      • mauibandb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
          I believe it was called the Ft Ruger theater then.

          aloha
          Maui Tom

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 19, 2005
            Aloha Curt,

            Those photos are great! Thanks for providing them.

            The mystery deepens. It appears Don was in two places at once...in the
            Canadian Army...and in Honolulu...both in Feb 1916.

            Maybe his poem "The Double Life" came true for him after all.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
              Hello, everyone ....

              After almost 2 years, I think I may have solved the mystery of
              Curt's poster purporting to show photos of Don Blanding and Florence
              Butler in "In a Persian Garden."

              http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/DB_HCT_photos/pages/H
              CT_DonBlanding_Poster_19160212.htm

              On April 9, 1917, both DB and Miss Butler appeared in a tableaux as
              part of the opening of the Lanai Theater at Helen Alexander's
              Laniakea. The tableaux was called "Two People of Tanagra" and its
              segments were Dawn and Awakening, Bachanal, Afternoon, Elegy, Dance
              Tanagra, and Invocation. Three of the four photos easily could have
              been from this tableaux.

              In addition, DB and Robert Purvis appeared in "Two Natures Struggle
              Within Me," in which both men were very scantily clad. I think the
              solo photo of DB (dancing) may be from this tableaux.

              I'll upload a drawing done by Mrs. Bruce Cartright, Jr., that shows
              Mr. Purvis and DB as "Two Souls." The drawing also shows Miss
              Butler (Invocation) and, although the costume does not match either
              of those in the photos, I still offer the 1917 production as a
              possibility.

              At one point, The Footlights Club did use the Lanai Theater for its
              productions. Photos from various sources easily might have been
              mixed up and mislabeled.

              On April 19, 1917, The Footlights Club presented "The Buddha of the
              Hills" at the Diamond Head residence of Dr. and Mrs. Charles Adams.
              Blanding was not part of the cast.

              ~~Cadia

              --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, Curt Blanding <curt@...>

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                The illustration from the April 1917 Lanai Theater opening is at

                Files > Publications > Honolulu Star-Bulletin > 1917 Articles on Don
                Blanding

                Here's a better link to Curt's poster images:

                http://www.pglg.com/blanding/don_blanding/DB_HCT_photos/

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                  Having trouble getting into the files today.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                    Maybe the photo I own of a scantily clad (nude) DB is
                    from this same era? The production date was actually
                    late 1940's but he was maybe 20-22 in this photo. I
                    think I made a copy of this photo for Keith. I am on
                    the road again, not returning home until late March.
                    Heading for Yuma area. Planned to snoop around the
                    Historical Societies of Yuma while there. I will
                    have email but it will be spotty. tj

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                      Tom,

                      I think the totally nude photo of Don you made a copy of for me was from his Chicago
                      Student days when he did some modelling for life drawing classes.

                      It was a side shot (hiding his privates obviously) but would have been too risque for a
                      theatrical photo.

                      Of course it could also have been yet another one of his career tangents...posing for a
                      1920's beefcake magazine (ha ha!)

                      Have fun in Arizona. If you venture into New Mexico you can research the Blanding/Taos
                      connection.

                      Keith

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                        Bev ....

                        Here's a direct link to the image:

                        http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?
                        u=3010967&a=32303273&p=75253479

                        If nothing else, go to

                        http://www.photo.epson.com

                        and type in my e-mail address to access my albums.

                        By the way, I've come across a few mentions of Armine in the April and
                        May 1917 microfilm. Off to the library now to finish reading but will
                        e-mail you tonight.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                          Still couldn't get in.

                          The first one said:
                          Sorry. The url (web page address) should not have a 'u=...' section.

                          Please contact Customer Service if you need any assistance.

                          The second just showed things you were advertising.

                          I am hoping the Huntington will be able to start getting the Star Bulletin
                          for me starting with 1923-28. If you are reading 1917, I won't have to
                          check it out. What other years have you covered? I am hoping to find ads
                          for their Dude Ranch in 23-28.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                            How can I get back into the group files again? I haven't done it for a
                            while and it does not recognize me as a member anymore.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                              Bev ...

                              To access restricted group sections, go to

                              and sign in with your Yahoo ID (bevl3) and your password. If you
                              don't remember your password, there's a link to have the information e-
                              mailed to you. Then just follow the instructions provided.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                                I have tried all this and Yahoo doesn't let me in. Maybe I will rejoin.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                                  I have so many files on DB, I keep forgetting which ones are private
                                  and which ones are accessible.

                                  Here's a better link for the 1917 illustration:

                                  http://myglassduchess.freeyellow.com/images9/1917lanai.jpg

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 30, 2007
                                    Mahalo,

                                    I gave up and rejoined the group and at the moment can view our group.

                                    Mahalo for all your time today to try and help me back in.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                      Same problem---Dean

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                        Dean,
                                        I rejoined and now I am in again. Go figure. This is the 3rd time I have
                                        had to change my pass-word in order to get in. Good old Yahoo.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                          Bev, you didn't rejoin the group ... you just changed your profile.
                                          The original join date is intact.

                                          Dean, try doing as Bev did. Using the same e-mail address as you
                                          already have, create a new Yahoo ID and password. That should merge
                                          with the original profile.

                                          You both can always change the Yahoo ID's back to what they were, if
                                          you wish.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 31, 2007
                                            Cadia,

                                            That may be what they tell you, but it isn't that easy from this side of
                                            the screen. I even had Hal trying to figure out what to do and he left.