DB arrived in Hawaii ...

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2005
      Hello, folks ...

      I know we've debated the year that DB arrived in Hawaii on several
      occasions. Just when I was about to accept December 22, 1916, along
      comes a Star-Bulletin column DB wrote in July 1955 that clearly
      states "December 22, 1915."

      Back to square 1.

      What exactly do we have in the way of documentation to place DB
      elsewhere in 1916? Canadian army service? Letters? What?

      Isn't research wonderful?

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2005
        Hi Cadia,

        I have copies of Don's Canadian military records which definately
        has him in the CEF from Jan. 11th, 1916 until Sept. 15th, 1916. He
        has stated many times that it was while returning from Canada that
        he saw THE BIRD OF PARADISE in Kansas City...which launched him off
        on his first Hawaiian jaunt.

        We've also debated that maybe he went to Hawaii first in 1915 and
        THEN went to the CEF...but I also have his Chicago Art Institute
        records which have him enrolled in classes in 1915.

        So I'm very confident that it was in Dec. of 1916 that he arrived in
        Hawaii. He said on several occasions that he was TERRIBLE with dates
        and I think the 1915 date in the 1955 article was blurred by 40
        years of time. It is one of the reasons that I'm still trying to
        prove that he was in fact born in 1893 instead of the commonly
        believed 1894 date. 1893 was the year entered on almost all of his
        early records...and then later in life he began to use 1894.